"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Something weird on my pumpkin pie, help!

Hi, this is Jovin's daughter, she told me to come on under her name to ask this question because she didn't know what to tell me.

I made a pumpkin pie last night .... canned pumpkin (rather an old can but had never been opened,) evaporated milk, splenda, spices and 2 eggs past due but seemed ok (hey my car is in the garage so I had to work with what I had! lol)

Ok the pie turned out great! I thought. I enjoyed some last night while watching my true crime shows. Thought it was a keeper!

Then today I went to have some (now in the full daylight) and I see these little white things!!! Tubular shapped little white things... some about 1/4 inch, some about an inch... all through my pumpkin pie!!!! I'm freaking out! I called my Mom and she doesn't know what it is but thinks maybe it's the eggs or something. But hey, everything was mixed together cold and then put in the oven to bake....

Please tell me these are not worms! OMG, I just feel sick. I sure don't want to throw my pie out but I can't figure out what this is!

silken

Old 12-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Master Chef

.........not a clue but I'd take some of it and freeze it in case you do get sick...........then pitch the rest.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovin
Hi, this is Jovin's daughter, she told me to come on under her name to ask this question because she didn't know what to tell me.

I made a pumpkin pie last night .... canned pumpkin (rather an old can but had never been opened,) evaporated milk, splenda, spices and 2 eggs past due but seemed ok (hey my car is in the garage so I had to work with what I had! lol)

Ok the pie turned out great! I thought. I enjoyed some last night while watching my true crime shows. Thought it was a keeper!

Then today I went to have some (now in the full daylight) and I see these little white things!!! Tubular shapped little white things... some about 1/4 inch, some about an inch... all through my pumpkin pie!!!! I'm freaking out! I called my Mom and she doesn't know what it is but thinks maybe it's the eggs or something. But hey, everything was mixed together cold and then put in the oven to bake....

Please tell me these are not worms! OMG, I just feel sick. I sure don't want to throw my pie out but I can't figure out what this is!

silken
If it was mine it would already be in the garbage.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Head Chef

It is instant mold! Did you refrigerate your pie? This happened to me once. The pies (2) were so good that I left them out for eating later. When we came home from the movie, the pies had molded.
I have noticed that the recipe on the can has changed. It used to call for 1/2 can of evaporated milk and now calls for one can. The pie turns out okay but the filling is not as pumpkin rich.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Executive Chef

silken, based on your description, I reckon it could be mould. This could be due to the pie being damp (because it was not cool completely before covering) or high humidity, presuming that all the ingredients used were okay. If you want to save the pie, dig out those mouldy areas and if it is still salvagable, refrigerate it immediately. However, if you do not wish to eat it, then dump it.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Pumpkin Pie Disaster Update lol

Wow, I never heard of instant mould!!

Well I left it out last night till I thought it was cool enough and then I refrigerated it but maybe not!

I remembered after posting my first post that I still had leftover pumpkin in the fridge so I went and looked through it and there's definitely no white things in there so whatever happened happened somewhere after I started putting things together.

Thank you for the diagnosis everyone! I'm ditching it! :( I'll make some again with the leftover pumpkin when I have some fresh eggs. ;)

silken
Old 12-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Please do not wait for something to be cool enough to refrigerate it. The correct way to lower a temperature is to refrigerate it immediately, not leave it sitting on the counter.

I would be happy to go into further detail on correct chilling procedures if you desire
Old 12-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
Head Chef

If this my cooking I would throw the whole thing in the garbage.

Have a wonderful day.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Smile Hi, VeraBlue,

This is Jovin now. I made my daughter register for herself, since I've had to come to get advice here for her before.

I sure wish you would give details on correct chilling procedures, because this has been a real problem between my SIL and myself for some time now.

Whenever I stay at my other daughter's out of town and I cook dinner, my SIL insists that the food CANNOT be put into the fridge for like a couple or more hours later! I don't agree with this at all, so if you can show me the correct way, I'm going to print it out and put it before his eyes next time I see him!

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
Master Chef

Do they move when you poke them with a knife? If so, they're worms.

I have two very old cans of pumpkin in my pantry that I am going to throw away right now.

Tags
None