"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 06-22-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
Cook

Sopapillas??

Back when I was a teenager, my family used to eat at a little Mexican restaurant that served what they called "sopapillas" for dessert. They were deep fried pieces of chewy dough which they served with honey buttter. They were SOOOO good, but it closed up years ago and I've never ran across anything similar. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and if so do you know where I could get a recipe?

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

ihanson, I've never had sopaipillas but I do have a recipe..It's a yeast recipe that involves frying the dough ..If this might be what your looking for I'd be happy to post it for ou... It is served warm with honey

kadesma

Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
Master Chef

MMMMMMMM love 'em!!

They are made all different ways, but,
you might find one suitable for you here.

http://www.recipezaar.com/r/q=sopapillas
Old 06-22-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

This is my favorite southwestern dessert -

Sopapillas

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. shortening
1 cup warm water

-mix first 3 ingredients; cut in shortening and add water.
-Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; cover with damp cloth; Let dough rest for approximately one hour.
-Divide into 2 equal pieces and roll each piece to 1/2" - 3/4" thick.
-Cut triangles out of dough. (about the size of your hand)
-heat oil (about 1-1/2" deep) to 425. Fry triangles, turning once, until golden; drain on brown paper bags covered with paper towels.

Notes: Serve with honey butter.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
Cook

Kadesma-
That sounds like what I'm looking for. Please post it when you get a chance. Almost all the restaurants I've been to other than that one serve a crisp chip-like triangle sprinkled with cinnamon, honey, whipped cream and sometimes strawberries which they also call "sopapillas". I think those might be what the recipe Jkath posted would produce. These were almost like donuts but a chewier texture and were in no particular shape, just blobs of dough.
Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Here it is ihanson, I hope this is what you are looking for.

Sopaipillas

1-package active dry yeast
1/4c- warm water (about110f)
1-1/2c-milk
3-Tab lard or vegetable shortening
1-tea. salt
2-Tab. sugar
1-c. whole wheat flour
about 4 c. a/p flour
salad oil
powdered sugar
Honey
in large bowl, stir yeast into warm water and let stand til soft (about 5min.).
In a 1-1/2-to-2-quart pan, combine milk, lard, salt, and sugar, heat over low heat to 110f and stir into yeast mixture. Beat in whole wheat flour and 3 cups of a/p flour, til dough is stretchy. Knead on lightly floured board til dough is smooth and satiny, adding more a/p flour as needed. Place in a greased bowl, turn to coat.Cover and let rise at room temp til double about 1 hour.
Punch down dough, knead briefly. On lightly floured board, roll dough, a quarter at a time, into rectangles about 1/8 thick. Cut each rectangle into 6 equal pieces; place in lightly floured pans and cover with plastic wrap.
Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a deep 3-4 qt. pan and heat to 350 on a deep fry thermometer. Add dough, 2 or 3 pieces at a time, and cook turning and gently pushing bubbly portion into into hot oil to help sopaipillas puff ebenly, til golden 1-2 min total. Drain on paper towels.Dust while warm with powdered sugar...If made ahead, let cool,cover ad refrigerate for up to 2 days,freeze for longer storage. To reheat, thaw if frozen. Arrange on baking sheets and bake in a 300 oven, turning once til warm 5-8 min. makes 2 dozen.
There is a picture of them , they look like small puffy pillows and it says to serve with hot chocolate and to drench them with honey.
I do hope this is what you are looking for. And can enjoy once again.
kadesma
Old 06-23-2005, 01:23 AM   #7
Master Chef

I think jkath had the most traditional recipe (using baking powder) - but I would be interested in trying the version using yeast.

If you ever get to New Orleans, LA - go to the French Quarter and look for a place over on the east side near the river in the old French Market - called Cafe du Monde (anybody in the quarter will be able to give you directions). The Mexican restaurants call them Sopaipillas and serve them with butter/honey/cinnamon - the French Acadian's called them Beignets and serve them with copious amounts of powdered sugar. Either way - it's a puffy fried fritter/donut.

For more recipe options:
Sopaipillas: http://www.google.com/search?biw=100...ipilla+recipes

Beignets: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...eignet+recipes
Old 06-23-2005, 01:33 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Michael - I had my first beignet last year at Downtown Disney (between the 2 theme parks) at a Louisiana-themed restaurant. They were quite tasty indeed!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:40 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I was shopping at Trader Joe's to day and the have Cafe du Monde coffee and chickory and a box of bignet mix...HUMMMMMM I did buy the coffee kadesma
Old 06-23-2005, 01:42 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I think jkath had the most traditional recipe (using baking powder) - but I would be interested in trying the version using yeast.

If you ever get to New Orleans, LA - go to the French Quarter and look for a place over on the east side near the river in the old French Market - called Cafe du Monde (anybody in the quarter will be able to give you directions). The Mexican restaurants call them Sopaipillas and serve them with butter/honey/cinnamon - the French Acadian's called them Beignets and serve them with copious amounts of powdered sugar. Either way - it's a puffy fried fritter/donut.

For more recipe options:
Sopaipillas: http://www.google.com/search?biw=100...ipilla+recipes

Beignets: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...eignet+recipes
Micheal,
I've no idea which recipe is which, but I do have a picture and they look like small puffed pillows...I think it might be fun to try both recipes and see what I get
either way they should be yummy...Thanks for the info.
kadesma

Tags
None