Super Simple Peach and Blackberry Strudel Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
Filing
4 peaches (skinned and sliced)
3 or 4 oz (100 grams) blackberries
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch

Divide filing between two sheets of puff pastry
Fold over and seal
Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes

Mix one egg mixed with 2 tablespoons milk and put some of this on top of the pastries
Sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoon raw sugar
Cook in oven at 425 F (220 C) until golden brown on outside

Super Simple Peach and Blackberry Strudel by powerplantop, on Flickr

I have a whole unopened bag of wild Maine blueberries. And I have puff pastry on hand. Looks like I will be baking. I bought the blueberries on a whim and have been wondering what I was going to be doing with them Now I know. Thanks. :angel:

I have a whole unopened bag of wild Maine blueberries. And I have puff pastry on hand. Looks like I will be baking. I bought the blueberries on a whim and have been wondering what I was going to be doing with them Now I know. Thanks. :angel:

Blueberries would work really good with this.

I found 3 peaches at the market today. White ones and regular ones which were both hard as apples and had no peach scent to them. Then off to the side was another bin. Nice ripe and fruity/ peachy smell to them and they felt firm yet "gave" a little when poked gently with your thumb. I bought 5 even though the recipes says four. I wouldn't want to come out on the short end of the stick. I have a few small bags blueberries from last summer's garden, So I will use those instead of blackberries. I didn't see fresh berries, just frozen.

It was a trip trying to find puff paste. It wasn't in the same location as filo or pie crusts, or even frozen bread rolls. There's no accounting for a grocer's logic according to how they organize their displays.

Now, I am too tired to make these right now. Maybe later tonight. Although I'm thinking these might make a tasty breakfast treat if I thaw the pastry when I put the coffee pot on in the a.m.

Last edited:
MMM...apples and puff pastry I have...

My thoughts exactly!

I found 3 peaches at the market today. White ones and regular ones which were both hard as apples and had no peach scent to them. Then off to the side was another bin. Nice ripe and fruity/ peachy smell to them and they felt firm yet "gave" a little when poked gently with your thumb. I bought 5 even though the recipes says four. I wouldn't want to come out on the short end of the stick. I have a few small bags blueberries from last summer's garden, So I will use those instead of blackberries. I didn't see fresh berries, just frozen.

It never hurts to have an extra peach laying around.

It was a trip trying to find puff paste. It wasn't in the same location as filo or pie crusts, or even frozen bread rolls. There's no accounting for a grocer's logic according to how they organize their displays.

I went thru the same thing where I was shopping at.

powerplant, that looks so tempting. (Oh I swear I'm going to gain 10 pounds from all the luscious recipes I've tried here at DC.) Raspberries are on sale by us - I can see me pairing them with the peaches (or nectarines) for the strudel. This is now on my "to-do" list. :yum:

I found 3 peaches at the market today. White ones and regular ones which were both hard as apples and had no peach scent to them. Then off to the side was another bin. Nice ripe and fruity/ peachy smell to them and they felt firm yet "gave" a little when poked gently with your thumb....

I used to do food demos at a grocery store back in OH. When I worked in the produce department I'd sniff at the fresh fruit we were demoing. The manager used to laugh and say you couldn't tell how something would taste by how it smelled. Time and time again I'd challenge him to pick out what he thought would be good while I was looking for something by the sniff test. He never learned that I would always win! :LOL:

powerplant, that looks so tempting. (Oh I swear I'm going to gain 10 pounds from all the luscious recipes I've tried here at DC.) Raspberries are on sale by us - I can see me pairing them with the peaches (or nectarines) for the strudel. This is now on my "to-do" list. :yum:

I used to do food demos at a grocery store back in OH. When I worked in the produce department I'd sniff at the fresh fruit we were demoing. The manager used to laugh and say you couldn't tell how something would taste by how it smelled. Time and time again I'd challenge him to pick out what he thought would be good while I was looking for something by the sniff test. He never learned that I would always win! :LOL:

Have to agree with you. When I was at the WW Fair in Puallup with my 4H kids, in the agricultural building, the farmers came in the morning of opening day with their produce. Some of it was to make pictures. They had no aroma. After all they had to last for a number of days on display. But the stuff that was for sale to the public, you could smell a mile away. It was ripe and ready to eat. The best peaches I ever had were the ones that had just come in on the truck. They had just been picked off the trees and were still warm from the sun. These were the ones that were for sale to the public. The farmer gave me two of them. "One for each hand so I couldn't get into trouble" I bit into the first one and the juice was running down my arm, the front of my clothes and all over my shoes. These were the biggest peaches I had ever seen. I proceeded to eat the second one, went back to the farmer with the two pits. I looked like a Norman Rockwell painting of someone who just got caught stealing a pie. I gave the pits back to the farmer and ask if they were worth a refund. He laughed and gave me two more.

I smelt like a peach all day long. I did manage to wash my arms and hands. I was a walking ad for the farmer's peaches. He sold out that day and came back with more the next day. For 14 days I got my fill of peaches. And the minute he put them in my hand, I could smell their heavenly aroma. I have never been able to find peaches like that since. :angel:

...The best peaches I ever had were the ones that had just come in on the truck. They had just been picked off the trees and were still warm from the sun. These were the ones that were for sale to the public. The farmer gave me two of them. "One for each hand so I couldn't get into trouble"...

Best peaches I ever had was when we went to visit my aunt and uncle in Geneva, OH. We went to the farm to pick our own...and I swear I'm still washing that danged fuzz off of me! To this day I cannot eat a peach unless I peel it. Usually I go the easy route and eat a nectarine instead. :whistling

Best peaches I ever had was when we went to visit my aunt and uncle in Geneva, OH. We went to the farm to pick our own...and I swear I'm still washing that danged fuzz off of me! To this day I cannot eat a peach unless I peel it. Usually I go the easy route and eat a nectarine instead. :whistling

I used to eat the fuzz, but not anymore. I don't digest skins, so I get out my trusty serrated peeler and go to town. Peaches and plums are on sale this week at DeMoulas and I will be picking up some. I hope they have some that will evoke happy memoires for me.

I am going shopping tomorrow and am going to pick up the fixings to make my g'son's chocolate chip cheesecake. It will be a srprise for him. He has been wanting one for years, but didn't want to ask me. Thought it would be too much work.

I have a girlfriend that lives in Atlanta. I am always sending her large pieces of hard Italian cheeses. For her to buy them off the wheel would cost her $25 a lb. and up. For me, no more than $5.99 at the most. Depending where I buy them. I send her one Parm and one Romano. The little shop where I usually get them cost me less than $10 for the both of them. And each one is a full pound. So I think it is time for payback. I must mention "peaches" to her the next time we talk for two hours on the phone. One time she sent me a crate of Valldalia onions. I can saute up a bunch of them and eat them like a veggie on my plate. Just salt and pepper.

This past week we solved all the problems of Hernandez and Paula Deen. Next we will tackle world peace. And I think we should decide what to do with that idiot that has taken political refuge in Russia. If only the world would listen to us. :angel:

Sorry, don't do mango or papaya. You'll have to ask Himself...who will tell you you can't get a good one up north. :LOL:

My youngest is life threatening allergic to mango. The first time he ever bit into one in Hawaii, his tongue and whole mouth swelled up. Mad rush to the hospital. :angel:

Thank you. Lots of good recipes and ideas here on the site.

I made these tonight.

Baked the strudels accidentally at 400 for about 10 mnutes, then cranked the oven to 425. Checked at 20 minutes or so, just starting to brown. At a little over 25 minutes, they were nice and golden with juices bubbling out of the slits.

Taste tested a little but the fruit is still to warm to serve. Guess I will just have to stay up late tonight. Yum. PPO, thanks for sharing this recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom