"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 09-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
Cupcake

How fun that would be!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #32
Executive Chef

I know they come out looking good. And usually taste ok. And once it's in the oven, it's ok to form an aluminium tent to protect the edges and prevent excessive browning. And once served on a plate, little cracks and ridges juist have a more home-y inviting look about them. Pie crusts.

I don't think it's embarrassing to say I have had to roll up what I was rolling out and start over with more flour. And Scrape the Rolling Pin. Or even throw out the doiugh and start from scratch. (I haven't done that in a long time. )

I made a rhubarb pie and a blueberry pie earlier this summer. Then I made some peach mini pies and pot pies. Then I made a whole peach pie this week.

I don't think I made a pumpkin pie or apples last winter. So a year may have gone by since last making pies. O !! and before that my oven was broken a whole year or more.

Still, once you make a pie crust successfully it should work next time and the next time. Well, in theory. For some reason, after many years, I still hold my breath when it comes time to roll out the pastry. And that ain't easy. Holding your breath while pushing and turning the circle in turns and expending energy with each push.

I chill my pie dough before rolling it out. I start out using a pastry cutter, then my fingers after I remove the blobs from the pastry cutter. I have tried using 2 knives to cut the shortening in the flour. Didn't like that so much. Now. I could wear Blinders. Up to a certain point. I can actually listen to music and just let my fingers crumble up and form and make "pea size crumbles", well pretty near. That part is easy. I have one recipe (betty crocker) that I use with shortening and some other one, very similar, when I use lard. I Do Not use any other recipe. No matter how TNT or Gramma's Best or ... just don't over work the dough.

Precision measurements and Ice water. I chill my pie dough before rolling it out. Flour the rolling pin, lightly flour the dough disc and the rolling surface.

What I would like to make is some thin layered flaky dough that I tasted once that Melted on my tongue. Think Croisannts instead of dinner rolls, only in pie crust thickness. How did they do that?

Still, I am just happy I can get a pie crust in the pan, get the filling in, and the top down. Nevermind some fancy fluting, just seal the edges with a fork, or your fingers. Vent the top, remember to put a layer of foil on the bottom rack to catch over flows, watch the oven temp.

For something that's pretty easy, I sure do twitch a lot.

So,,, does any one else's pies start to melt or start to cook after you put in 2 pie crusts in the Brevelle pie maker, before you get the last 2 pies all fixed up. I know it says shut the cover and click. But it seems they start baking before I reach that point and I think I have everything all lined and ready to go.

And why don't we need to cut steam vents in the pie crust tops in the Breville pie pans and it's usually recommended for oven baking. ?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #33
Honey Badger

Oh Chopper?

Was it you who had made the lemon pies in your B/P?

If so was the filling homemade? Any particular crust? How long did you bake yours at?

Spring has sprung here. A friend of mine brought me over a bag of freshly picked lemons and oranges. Bare with me I ain't evah made a lemon pie from scratch. This could be really interesting.

Thank you

Munky.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #34
Cupcake

Can/has anyone made mini-pies with open crusts? How does it work and how did you do it, if so?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

yes, I just don't put tops on...they turn out great. In the case of pudding pies, I blind bake the crusts in the pie maker only. Made pecan minipies, parchment on top, took longer to bake.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #36
Cupcake

Pecan mini-pies........Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #37
Master Chef

How about white chocolate cream and whole raspberry filling or cream cheese and fig preserve?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #38
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Can/has anyone made mini-pies with open crusts? How does it work and how did you do it, if so?
It wasn't exactly an open pie. Made a nice apple with a cobbler like crusts using oatmeal. Turned out just fine. Fill add topping close and snap. same cooking times. I liked the gooey mess popping up from the crusts. Could have held off on the vanilla ice cream though. It was very rich.

Do it as you normally would. Cooking times vary. Knife test for pumpkin pies still apply with me.

Munky.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #39
Executive Chef

I have made lemon pies in the Breville pie maker! After making homemade lemon pudding on the stove, I let it cool really well. I can't remember, but I think I even chilled the pudding. When making the little pies, I cut a big hole in the top crust before putting it on the pies.

They turned out beautiful!

I haven't made pies in a while. I'm making cookies right now.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #40
Cupcake

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Lemon pie......mmmm. I love lemon pie.

Tags
recipe, sweet, tips, pastry, pie

Sweet Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes Today was the first chance I've had to try this beauty out. I made 2 separate crusts. Butter puff for the top. And a regular pie crust for the bottoms. They took about 15 minutes to cook. The portion was a bit much for me. Couldn't finish one. Between the filling and crusts, they were rich tasting, a great combination of doughs. Very filling. The pie maker was a breeze to use. Simple clean up. Cooked evenly. The only thing I wish It had come with is something non abrasive to lift the cooked pies out with. When they were finished cooking they were heavy. These are not the light banquet frozen pies. When pressing the dough shell into it. I found that dipping the cutters into flour helped it from sticking to the dough. Other then those minor things. It's a great versatile product. Munky. Edit Note: Posted here to show the beautiful pies at the top of the thread and the tips in this post. P.Fiona [IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/waxmunky/DSC_0421-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/waxmunky/DSC_0422-1.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews