Sweet Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Today was the first chance I've had to try this beauty out. I made 2 separate crusts. Butter puff for the top. And a regular pie crust for the bottoms.

They took about 15 minutes to cook. The portion was a bit much for me. Couldn't finish one. Between the filling and crusts, they were rich tasting, a great combination of doughs. Very filling.

The pie maker was a breeze to use. Simple clean up. Cooked evenly. The only thing I wish It had come with is something non abrasive to lift the cooked pies out with. When they were finished cooking they were heavy. These are not the light banquet frozen pies.

When pressing the dough shell into it. I found that dipping the cutters into flour helped it from sticking to the dough. Other then those minor things. It's a great versatile product.

Munky.

Edit Note: Posted here to show the beautiful pies at the top of the thread and the tips in this post. P.Fiona

img_1131262_0_51a3a5b7d2ad55260e59ec939048716b.jpg

img_1131262_1_d3d02e8d00257c871f4c8b83a4b01f18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tips and Ideas for Mini Pies - Sweet Pies

*** To avoid burning the crust take a piece of parchment paper and cut circles out using the pastry cutter.
Trace around the inside and outside. Place the cut piece around each cake before closing the lid. They can be reused. ***

**If you can find them, check in the dehydrator section of an outfitting store or butchers, use the 4x4 hamburger patty papers**

***One ready rolled 9" recipe is enough to make 2 pies.
2 pastry tops and 2 bases.***

Pie Crust Recipe

2 Cups AP flour
3/4 Cup Lard
1 Teaspoon of salt
5 to 6 Tablespoons of ice water

Makes 4 bottom crusts

~~~~~~~~~
A Linzer Torte Personal Pie

Blind baked shortbread single-crust, raspberry jam and Dark Chocolate Almond Butter spread on top
~~~~~~~~~
corn and blueberry muffins
~~~~~~~~~
banana muffins
~~~~~~~~~
French toast shells
Fill with breakfast fruits, sprinkle with powdered sugar
~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
Chocolate Pies

Chocolate Pies

1 Package of Jell-O. Cook and serve pudding mix.
Follow the cooking directions on the box.
Remove from the stove just as it begins to thicken. Keep it covered. Set aside.

Make a batch of the base crust. You will need to double the recipe and use the same recipe for the top.

Pie Crust Recipe Base:
For the bottom base:
2 Cups AP flour
3/4 Cup Lard
1 Teaspoon of salt
5 to 6 Tablespoons of ice water.

Make the glaze ( Mine needs help )
But here you go anyways.

1 Cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
Mix it until smooth. Set aside

Preheat the pie maker

Add the bottom crust to each section. Press it in.
Add 1/3 C of the Chocolate pudding
Place the top crust on.

Bake 15-20 minutes. Remove them to a wired rack
Brush on the glaze while the pies are lukewarm.

Pineapple Cherry Cake

Converted for use in your Breville Personal Pie Maker. Makes approx 10 Cakes

*** To avoid burning the crust take a piece of parchment paper and cut circles out using the pastry cutter.
Trace around the inside and outside. Place the cut piece around each cake before closing the lid. They can be reused. ***

Yellow Cake Mix:

2 Cups all purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1/2 Cup lard, or shortening
1 Cup of whole milk
3 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
1/4 Cup of the reserved pineapple juice

Mix together the dry ingredients. Add the lard. Work until the mixture is a fine crumble.
Mix in the eggs, vanilla, pineapple juice and milk.
Beat until the batter is smooth.
Set it aside. Use at room temp.

Pineapple Cherry Filling:
This part can be doubled if you making them for a crowd. Doubled will make 20. With the yellow cake mix recipe provided.

1 20oz can of Pineapple Chunks Drained. Reserved the juice.
Put the chunks into a blender until it's almost a puree. Drain it again. Set aside

1 21 oz can of Comstock Cherry Pie Filling. Drained of the sweet sauce. Set the cherries aside.

3 tablespoons of butter
1/4 Cup dark brown sugar

In a saucepan melt the butter. Add the brown sugar until it's well mixed. Remove it from the heat.
Add your reserved pineapple puree. Mix well. Set it aside to cool to room temp.

Preheat the Pie Maker

Add less than a 1/4 Cup of batter to each section. Not the full amount. You will be adding a filling to the batter.
Then add 1 tablespoon of the Pineapple filling to the cake batter. Top that with a few cherries.

Place the cutout parchment pieces over each section. Close and lock the lid.

Cook for 15-20 minutes. The timing could take a little longer. I had a batch that took 25 min.
If the cake is too light of a color the cakes will fall apart when you try to remove them. The filling will leak out from the bottom. Darker helps keep the cake from falling apart.

Chef this is a brilliant vid the sync between the fantastic music and the cook is excellent.The recipe for the sweet mincemeat appears at the end.It can be used a few weeks after canning but if you store some till chrimbo it will make the best traditional British mince pies.
Ode To Mince Meat Pie - YouTube

Lower-Fat Pie Crust

Makes enough for 8 tops and bottoms...barely

Lower-Fat Pie Crust
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
6 tablespoons butter, cut up
4 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup water, ice cold

Directions:

1. Using metal blade, blend flour, butter, oil, baking poweder and salt in Cuisinart until crumbly.

2. Add water by dribbling and blend until ball forms. Is ok to not use it all.

Ok, need a hand on deciding what crusts to use today.

I'm making from scratch Apple pies. My crusts recipes are already posted.
Would you use the base recipe for the tops? Or should I just stick with the puff one. Sooo undecided.

Thankies

Munky.

Fresh Peach Pie

Makes 4 Mini Pies.

1 two crust pie crust
3 fresh peaches
Grated lemon zest, to taste
1 Tbsp Brandy ( because I have some right now, otherwise, probably 1 tsp vanilla or a little almond extract)
generous sprinkle Cinnamon ( I forgot this even though it was right next to me)
¼ cup brown sugar, not packed
1 Tbsp white sugar ( might omit next time)
2 Tbsp flour ( the peaches in the bowl got quite juicy)
2 bits of cold butter to top each pie filling Before putting on the top crust – have cut and ready on a nearby plate

Directions:

Make favorite pie crust. I used Betty Crocker cookbook recipe with shortening. I am familiar with this and it works for me. Form into 2 balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes. Roll out and cut out circles. Cover with the plastic wrap or a clean towel.

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Using a paring knife cut an X in the bottom of each peach before placing them in the boiling water. Leave them in the boiling water for about one minute and remove to a large bowl of ice water to cool. Slip off the skins when they are cool enough to handle.

Cut the peaches into slices and cut the slices into half pieces. Place them in a large bowl, sprinkle with the lemon zest. Add the sugars, vanilla, cinnamon and flour and toss to combine.

Fit the bottom crusts into the heated pie maker.

Using a slotted spoon, fill 1/3 cup measuring cup with Peaches. Pour filling into each bottom crust and dot with butter. Fit the top crusts on. I left most of the liquid from the peach filling in the bowl so as not to make the pie too runny I am surprised how much juice was released, and I was careful when mixing the ingredients. 3 Peaches filled all four cups just right.

Close and click cover. Bake 10 minutes.

Wolfgang Puck was selling his pie maker today on HSN. (Posted the links & video) in your other thread.)

They made:

Blueberry bread pudding
*psychedelic cupcakes (different colors squeezed layer over layer)
lava cakes
red velvet cupcakes

He also added scrambled eggs w/ different fillings.

There was a pie maker book sold separately for $15. Some of the recipes were... chocolate mousse pie, whoopie pies, etc.

*It reminded me of this bulls eye cheesecake (you could probably adapt it for the pie maker):

Bull's eye cheesecake | My Food Affair

This strawberry-filled cupcake came to mind:

Strawberry-Lime Stuffed Cupcakes Recipe : Food Network Kitchens : Recipes : Food Network

Pie crust used to be the bane of my existence.

Then I discovered the idea of making up the dry ingredients (plus the fat) in advance. I keep this in a ziploc gallon size freezer bag in the fridge.

Eh, voila, instant pie crust success!

Lard (real lard, not the stuff that comes in tubs in the grocery store or at the local mercado) is REALLY expensive. Also, since I've gotten used to not having it for decades, pie crust made with lard tastes weird to me, especially if we're talking a sweet rather than a savory dish.

The above recipe has turned dozens of people into pie-crust successes, people, like me, who have been avoiding the dreaded pie for decades. Try it. It really works.

Really the success is probably largely due to the fact that you keep this in the fridge so your ingredients have very little time to warm up - all you do is add the ice water, pat it into shape, and chill while you make your filling. Then when the filling is ready to go into the pan, THEN you take the dough out and roll it out. Process, ingredients, whatever - it works.

O yes. I placed an order with our meat supplier yesterday. I willl have a new supply of Real Lard by next week.

I waited and did not buy a tub of lard at the grocery store last week. Our grocer has it in a green box in the flour/ baking section and it looks like a pound of butter. I figure if it is shelf stable, there is something else added. so I don't buy it, though I have never read the ingreeds, Lard is lard and should be only lard. Duh.

I have a small container of shortening, (crisco) which I keep in the freezer so it doesnt get rancid. I use it so seldom. I also don't cook bacon very often, so I seldom have bacon grease in the house. And if I did, it would be used for Fried Taters, not pie crust.

I Wuz make pies maybe only 2-3 times/year. Now with the B Pie Maker, I aim to make pies more often. Hence a new order w/ my meat guy.

Buy the best you can find in your area. You and your pies will be glad and come out better.

Also, I put several times little dough balls of leftover pie crust in a freezer bag. Not sure how or if this will re-work in the breville pie maker. They say not to use it over. I can't see why not. Seems more like a marketing concern vs practical day to day living issue to me.

Last edited:
Thanks kitchen B. I will be making that pie crust mix. I think I will do it with the butter flavored crisco.

I'm completely pie-crust-challenged, so I will definitely give this a try. My pie crusts are either too heavy, too tough, not flaky, not crisp, or soggy. I think the issue is that I do not add chilled water correctly. I can never get anything better than a hard brick of dough that does not roll....or it will roll, but lacks flakiness and is tough. :ermm:

Cheers for the recipe :)

Fresh Peach Pie

Makes 4 Mini Pies.

1 two crust pie crust
3 fresh peaches
Grated lemon zest, to taste
1 Tbsp Brandy ( because I have some right now, otherwise, probably 1 tsp vanilla or a little almond extract)
generous sprinkle Cinnamon ( I forgot this even though it was right next to me)
¼ cup brown sugar, not packed
1 Tbsp white sugar ( might omit next time)
2 Tbsp flour ( the peaches in the bowl got quite juicy)
2 bits of cold butter to top each pie filling Before putting on the top crust – have cut and ready on a nearby plate

Directions:

Make favorite pie crust. I used Betty Crocker cookbook recipe with shortening. I am familiar with this and it works for me. Form into 2 balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes. Roll out and cut out circles. Cover with the plastic wrap or a clean towel.

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Using a paring knife cut an X in the bottom of each peach before placing them in the boiling water. Leave them in the boiling water for about one minute and remove to a large bowl of ice water to cool. Slip off the skins when they are cool enough to handle.

Cut the peaches into slices and cut the slices into half pieces. Place them in a large bowl, sprinkle with the lemon zest. Add the sugars, vanilla, cinnamon and flour and toss to combine.

Fit the bottom crusts into the heated pie maker.

Using a slotted spoon, fill 1/3 cup measuring cup with Peaches. Pour filling into each bottom crust and dot with butter. Fit the top crusts on. I left most of the liquid from the peach filling in the bowl so as not to make the pie too runny I am surprised how much juice was released, and I was careful when mixing the ingredients. 3 Peaches filled all four cups just right.

Close and click cover. Bake 10 minutes.

:ohmy: YUM :yum:

Chocolate Pies

1 Package of Jell-O. Cook and serve pudding mix.
Follow the cooking directions on the box.
Remove from the stove just as it begins to thicken. Keep it covered. Set aside.

Make a batch of the base crust. You will need to double the recipe and use the same recipe for the top.

Pie Crust Recipe Base:
For the bottom base:
2 Cups AP flour
3/4 Cup Lard
1 Teaspoon of salt
5 to 6 Tablespoons of ice water.

Make the glaze ( Mine needs help )
But here you go anyways.

1 Cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
Mix it until smooth. Set aside

Preheat the pie maker

Add the bottom crust to each section. Press it in.
Add 1/3 C of the Chocolate pudding
Place the top crust on.

Bake 15-20 minutes. Remove them to a wired rack
Brush on the glaze while the pies are lukewarm.

Back
Top Bottom