Sweet Potato Pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I've never had this dish before. Will Smith's characters eats his grandmas sweet potato pie in the movie "I Robot". I looked a bit like pumpkin pie.

So, what is this dish? What does it taste like? I'll take recipes too if anyone has a good one.

Basically - take your favorite pumpkin pie recipe and substitute an equal amount of cooked (baked) and mashed sweet potatoes for the probably canned pumpkin called for in the recipe.

If you used canned pumpkin (like most people) - you probably will not notice any difference if you use sweet potatoes. If you use fresh pumpkin you might notice some difference - but the taste will still be similar.

also you can do this with butternut squash.. and its soooo yummy!
:)

Pumpkin pie is often sweeter and almost sickly 'creamy' in comparrison to Sweet Potato... Good Sweet Potato pie has better texture and depth of flavor than Pumpkin.

I'll have to try it with the butternut squash. That does sound good.

I only use about half the amt of milk or evap milk frequently called for in a pumpkin pie recipe. I like the flavor of the pumpkin best. One I use is:
4 C pumpkin well dried by putting canned pump. in a pan to cook to give a bit of carmelizing to it.
6 eggs
2 C milk or lt cream
spices and salt

It also matters which sweet potatoes you buy. Jewel or Beauregards (orange) are much sweeter and better for pies than Jersey (yellow).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom