"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I thought of this gratin recipe, Goodweed. Enjoy!

Sweet Potato Gratin
3/4 c Half and half (can use cream)
1/2 c Orange juice
1/4 c Firmly packed brown sugar
3 tb Butter
1 tb Grated orange peel
1 ts Ginger, ground
1 ts Salt
5 lb Sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced
1 tb Crystallized ginger, chopped finely
3 tb Honey (opt)
1/4 c Nuts, toasted, chopped (walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, peanuts, etc)

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 13 x 9 casserole.
1.Bring the orange juice, half and half, brown sugar, butter, grated orange peel, ground ginger, and salt to a boil in heavy large skillet over high heat, stirring constantly.
2.Place a layer of sliced sweet potatoes in the casserole. Pour some cream sauce over the top and sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Continue layering until all the potatoes are used, ending with cream sauce
3.Bake for 50 mins or until the potatoes are tender and the top is lightly browned and bubbling.
4.Remove from oven and drizzle potatoes with honey and sprinkle with nuts. Return to oven for additional 10 mins. Remove and let stand before serving. Is delicious served hot or chilled.

Old 10-11-2004, 11:41 PM   #12
Master Chef

Kansasgirl; That recipe looks so very good. I am going to have to modify it though to severely reduce, or eliminate the added sugar, including the added sugar from the juice. I may have to go with orange zest, Splenda, and evaporated milk. I should be able to come up with a good approximation suitable for diabetics. I'm writing a diabetic cookbook that will be reviewed by a proffesional nutritionist before I complete it. Wish me luck with this recipe. It looks so good. Oh to be 16 years old again, with that ravenous appetite and super-high metabolizm that kept my wieght well below 100 pounds back then. (heavy sigh).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I can tell the difference. The taste of a pumpkin pie I've had over the years is very different from sweet potato. Pumpkin pie has the spices, ginger mostly. Sweet potato has lots of lemon.

Tags
None