Thanksgiving in New Zealand - Pumpkin Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegrova

Cook
Hi All. Here in New Zealand I have a Californian neighbour who has invited the a big group of people to celebrate thanks giving. A holiday not celebrated in NZ. Needless to say I offered to bake a pumpkin pie - and then thought that a baked cheesecake - spiced pumpkin flavour could be an interesting idea. I have not baked either and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments. I was thinking of a baked pumpkin puree mixed with ricotta, creamcheese and egg, and baked.

thegrova, unlike gobo I think it sounds GREAT. I have to say, a pumpkin pie really is very easy.....if its a big group of people how about trying both? I think there is a thread in cakes on pumpkin spiced cheesecake. I have never tried one, but the idea makes me salivate.

I love pumpkin pie.
I'm just not a fan of cheesecake. I'll eat it when we're out and everyone wants cheesecake but me.

goboenomo said:
Eww that sounds even more gross then the Pumpkin gelato i saw the other day.

Sometimes its better not to say anything if you don't have something nice to say. If a recipe or idea doesn't appeal to you....you may want to pass on the reply.

Grova............here's one I was thinking about trying for this Thanksgiving. I like to try a few new things each year. No matter what you decide please let us know what you fixed and how it turned out and above all how you enjoyed your first Thanksgiving.

http://www.nikibone.com/recipe/cheesecake/pumpkincheesecakewithcaramelswirl.html

But other people do like Cheesecake. I am sure you didn't mean to be offensive, but as it was the only reply I thought I ought to make it clear that just cause you don't like cheesecake its not worth trying....I am not sure if that came across in your first post ;)

Long time no see, Gobo.:)

Ight ight sorry.
I didn't really read the whole thing. I just saw pumpkin cheesecake.
I thought it was purchased or something. But its homemade. That's a good idea.

Been really busy.
I posted a big thing in the off topic section.

Last edited:
Actually both sound good.

Pumpkin pie is sorta traditional for Thanksgiving so would give a nod to that.

But adore cheescake, and pumpkin would work fine, I do believe.

Would probably make both.

If I had to choose one, would probably go for the cheesecake.

Thanks for helping us Yanks out again.

Whatever you bake sounds very good to me and I am sure the people who are having the Thanksgiving dinner will enjoy it.

I love Pumpkin Pie and also Pumpkin Cheesecake.

Pumpkin Pie is always my favourite and I am sure others too. Baked pumpkin cheesecake sounds nice too. Since it's a big group and some people (especially Asian) may not like the combination of pumpkin puree with cheese, it would be better to bake both. That way you can't go wrong!

Thanks everybody (including Gobo for the ewww remark - at least it made me smile!) I am not sure what I will decide to do. Having never tried pumpkin pie I am quite tempted to do that - but kind of feel like being adventurous. At the same time it looks like I will be roasting a few chickens (we cannot get turkey in New Zealand other than at christmas) etc - I did not realise that the invitation came with a 'can you organise and delegate the menu' clause! So doing both a pie and a cheesecake could be a too much for me. Thanks Sizzlin for the cheesecake link - their data base is huge and it has given me a few ideas!

Thegrova, if you would prefer turkey, PM me as Im sure some of my suppliers have turkey all year.:)

Been good pumpkins this year so either the pie or cheesecake will taste great! I learnt a valuable lesson a few years ago when making pumpkin soup. The flavour of the pumpkin in question was ghastly and I had no others to try, so it was down the sink with that potful!! Nowadays, I cut a piece out of a pumpkin, zap it in the microwave and taste for sweetness and whether it is dry or moist. :chef:

thanks for the turkey offer! It looks like we are going for something less traditional and as there are a vegetarian or two visiting, I will be borrowing a Thomas Keller Quiche recipe. Others are bring platters and salads and I WILL be baking a pumpkin pie. Yet to decide on which recipe to use!

Back
Top Bottom