The British Pork Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my!....I just had to watch one more, and it was the Iced fingers, cuz coincidentally, I just this morn, made some sweet buns (intending donuts, but ran out of patience cutting them into circles using a glass and small jar lid for center....

so I'm going to make these fingers, and fill them with whipped cream and jam.

You just saved my day ! Thank you, thank you.

Thank you Bolas, very interesting video, the first one. I'll save the others for later.
I make my pork filling with garlic, dill, 2 cloves which get removed later....no parsley, no bacon.
btw: I have not heard of smokeless bacon. Must ask a local butcher about this.

Since the only seasoning in this first video pork pie is simply salt, onions, parsley, I'm assuming that the smokeless pork must be very very tasty?....or perhaps pork pie lovers just love the pork itself.....?

Pancetta would be a good, albeit expensive, substitute for unsmoked bacon. Hmmm, I should ask the butcher at my Greek grocery store if they have any unsmoked bacon. It would probably make a good substitute for pancetta.

It is often suggested to blanch uncooked regular bacon briefly to remove some of the smokiness.

Thank you Bolas, very interesting video, the first one. I'll save the others for later.
I make my pork filling with garlic, dill, 2 cloves which get removed later....no parsley, no bacon.
btw: I have not heard of smokeless bacon. Must ask a local butcher about this.

Since the only seasoning in this first video pork pie is simply salt, onions, parsley, I'm assuming that the smokeless pork must be very very tasty?....or perhaps pork pie lovers just love the pork itself.....?
Soma over here we would eat more unsmoked bacon (green) than smoked. My mix is about the same % but I use belly pork to add the fat to the lean pork.
Seasoning, the stock cube will season, I leave my pies for about 24 hours to let the flavors mature.:yum:

Thanks all...will try to blanch my regular bacon first, and keep looking.

Meanwhile, I did bake some of my sweet bread potato dough into 'spudnuts'; dipped in butter, rolled in cinnamon/sugar. Great with hot cocoa on a snowy day. Here's a tray cooling in the porch.

SpudnutsCool.JPG

After tasting these, I regret not adding some orange zest to the batter. It seems to just call for it.

Last edited:
Bolas, I'd do anything Paul Hollywood asked me to! Swoon. :yum:

I'd give my right arm for a pork pie. I have yet to try making one gluten free as yet but one day........

Bolas, I'd do anything Paul Hollywood asked me to! Swoon. :yum:

I'd give my right arm for a pork pie. I have yet to try making one gluten free as yet but one day........
Quintuplets given the choice of Mary B or Paul H I'm struggling :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom