The British Pork Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This used to be a typical UK butchers shopwww.youtube.com/watch?v=tHHTPoTID50&feature=related

yes I do Vit, this is the answer to Mary Berry's question "can you make a big one in a loaf tin" its called a Gala pork pie and you use chickens eggs
img004.jpg

Vit its called bread flour, I had an epiphany when my wife brought Canadian Red Spring flour home. The wholemeal (brown) has 15% protein, the unbleached white 14.7%.I used to use and swear by Italian 00 and French 55, 65, now I use Red Spring :)

Vit its called bread flour, I had an epiphany when my wife brought Canadian Red Spring flour home. The wholemeal (brown) has 15% protein, the unbleached white 14.7%.I used to use and swear by Italian 00 and French 55, 65, now I use Red Spring :)

Is red part of the description or part of the brand name?

The flour I use for bread is organic, whole wheat (whole grain), hard, spring flour. Yes, it's the Canadian one. :)

Thanks for the vid links! I love savory pies.

Just FYI, for those trying to bridge the English language barrier :), here is a list of American flours and their British equivalents:

• Cake and pastry flour = soft flour
  • All-purpose flour = plain flour
  • Bread flour = strong flour, hard flour
  • Whole-wheat flour = wholemeal flour

Last edited:
i think bolad could give mrs. patmore a run for her money.

i could really go for a pork pie right now.

darn, i've got to check my spelling better when i use my phone.

sorry mrs. patmore, i mean mrs. bolaS... ;)

Thank you Bolas, very interesting video, the first one. I'll save the others for later.
I make my pork filling with garlic, dill, 2 cloves which get removed later....no parsley, no bacon.
btw: I have not heard of smokeless bacon. Must ask a local butcher about this.

Since the only seasoning in this first video pork pie is simply salt, onions, parsley, I'm assuming that the smokeless pork must be very very tasty?....or perhaps pork pie lovers just love the pork itself.....?

Back
Top Bottom