"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I strictly follow a recipe, but I use whole grain, soft wheat flour. It took me a lot of trial and error to make a nice, flaky pie crust. Now I'm working on making it a little bit stronger.

I like to cut the lard into the flour with a food processor.
I have a pastry cutter that I bought at a multi-yard sale. It was old when I got it. The handle is so worn in the middle. It has very thin wires. I don't know what they are made of, but they work when I am cutting the flour and shortening. I had one that had blades instead of wires. The dough kept getting stuck and I would have to stop and clean it out. The wire one I just have to shake it. The blade one got tossed out real quick.
I don't like using the FP. The blade heats up. Not good for making dough.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #32
Executive Chef

I use one of them dough blenders too. I think it was given to me by my mother about 40 years ago. It's so old it has a wooden handle, and it's kind of creaky but still works.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I hated the pastry cutter with the wires. They went in all directions when pressed into the flour and shortening.

I find that as long as I pulse the flour and shortening in the food processor and don't make a huge batch at once, it doesn't warm up. It's enough quicker than a pastry cutter that I notice that it is cooler when finished.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like to use my hands to cut the fat into the flour. If it gets too warm I just put it in the fridge for a while. I know how it's supposed to feel when it's ready.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I like to use my hands to cut the fat into the flour. If it gets too warm I just put it in the fridge for a while. I know how it's supposed to feel when it's ready.
There is nothing like feeling the ingredients you are using. If the amount is small, I too will use my hands instead of dirtying a utensil. I love to knead bread dough. Like the saying goes, "There is nothing like using your hands in the kitchen."
Old 02-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had to give Pie Crust lessons to my family, just so I would be allowed to bring something other than pies to a meal. I was burned out on pie making at the old age of 15. I cook a lot with my hands!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I had to give Pie Crust lessons to my family, just so I would be allowed to bring something other than pies to a meal. I was burned out on pie making at the old age of 15. I cook a lot with my hands!
Son #2 was smart enough to want lessons in pie making. I am slowing down and like you, it is always pies they want. I won't be here forever. Someone is going to have to take over. So it looks like Son #2 is going to be the next pie maker. He has already made some small changes to my apple pie.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #38
Master Chef

Of my four kids, PAG doesn't like to bake, though she'd be good at it if she tried, Eldest son love to Q, and generally takes on new cooking challenges, but relies on he lovely wife to do the baking. She's a great baker, if she has a good recipe. She doesn't do well with improve cooking. Child three loves to cook, and knows how to make wonderful pizza and breads. But he's not responded to my attempts to teach him about pie crusts and other pastries. Though he's a professional chef, it just doesn't fall into his circle of expertise. Sprout is all about making healthy foods for her family, with the occasional sweet treat. She's up for anything though, and will take on new baking skills with excitement. She'll be the next pie crust expert in my family. There's hope.

Seeeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Of my four kids, PAG doesn't like to bake, though she'd be good at it if she tried, Eldest son love to Q, and generally takes on new cooking challenges, but relies on he lovely wife to do the baking. She's a great baker, if she has a good recipe. She doesn't do well with improve cooking. Child three loves to cook, and knows how to make wonderful pizza and breads. But he's not responded to my attempts to teach him about pie crusts and other pastries. Though he's a professional chef, it just doesn't fall into his circle of expertise. Sprout is all about making healthy foods for her family, with the occasional sweet treat. She's up for anything though, and will take on new baking skills with excitement. She'll be the next pie crust expert in my family. There's hope.

Seeeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North
There is always one that makes you proud.

Tags
crust, other, pie