Tofu Chocolate Mousse (can use as pie filling)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
I'm not really sure where to put this but since you can use it for pie filling this will have to do. ;)

In the spirit of New Year's Dieting Resolutions I bring you Tofu Chocolate Mousse:

600 grams silken tofu
300 grams chocolate
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon of cream of tarter
flavoring (of your choice)

3 bowls, 15 minutes from beginning to end

Back when I was into bodybuilding I tweaked many a recipe to satisfy my sweet tooth and up my protein, this is one of the results, a light mousse, high in protein, low in fat. Living in Japan, the tofu I can get is inexpensive and top notch and I've surprised many Japanese children, housewives, and salary-men with the revelation that "it's tofu". (lol)

Put the chocolate in a large glass bowl and set it in the microwave (500w or so) for 4 - 5 minutes until melted -- don't forget to stir it from time to time. While that's going put the tofu in a food processor with the flavorings of your choice and blend till well past smooth. The chocolate should be done, so whip up a nice meringue with the cream of tarter.

With either a wire whisk or a rubber spatula add the tofu to the chocolate and mix until well blended. Add 1//4 of the meringue and FOLD gently, then slowly fold in the rest. Either cover with plastic wrap or gently spoon into a pre-baked pie shell and refrigerate for a few hours.

You can tweak this recipe in many ways. For one, if you're afraid of consuming raw egg whites heat 50 - 100 grams of sugar with 1/4 cup of water and bring it to 236 degrees celsius; slowly pour into the egg-whites while beating at a moderately slow speed. Increase the speed to fast and beat until stiff, shinning peaks form -- you've just made Italian Meringue.

Myself, I add(ed) one egg white per 100 grams of tofu because I want(ed) a dessert high in protein [and back when I was (overly) concerned about the sugar, I used unsweetened chocolate and stevia].

For flavorings 1 - 3 teaspoons instant espresso with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon is very good; 1- 3 tablespoons rum or orange liquor is also very nice; peanut butter or banana or coconut may also be used with great effect: what you want is something that's strong enough to cover the tofu (which is bland) and compliment the chocolate.

Lastly, if you'd like to try a richer, denser almost chocolate truffle tart, use equal amounts of tofu and chocolate and omit the meringue. The tofu lightens the suspension and the cocoa butter in the chocolate holds it together -- you'd be surprised.

Enjoy,

wm :chef:

Great, My wife has been busting her #$%& at the gym and would appreciate this recipe and any other recipe of this sort to up her protein, and satisfy her sweet tooth.

Back
Top Bottom