"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Armour seems to have a corner on the readily available lard market. The island is pretty quiet this morning. The sound of chainsaws did not used to bother me but that was back when the island was full of trees. But as the island has become barer and barer it has become a sad sound. Half a dozen large eastern red cedar were felled nearby yesterday.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
Everymom

Armour must be a US brand. I've never seen it here. I use Tenderflake myself.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I rarely see any other lard here, funny how different simple little things are just by an imaginary "line in the sand". My brother thinks I live in Canada... because GASP I moved 50 miles away from the city, north. Poor city kid.

Bill it seems the more people want to move out to the middle of nowhere to "get away from it all", the more they bring "it all" with them. I was born in the biggest city in the world, and it seems the smaller the places we move to, they always grow on us and we have to go farther. The town we're in now is about 5,000 tops, about 50 miles from Minneapolis. Give it 5-10 years and I bet I will no longer live next to a cornfield.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I rarely see any other lard here, funny how different simple little things are just by an imaginary "line in the sand". My brother thinks I live in Canada... because GASP I moved 50 miles away from the city, north. Poor city kid.

Bill it seems the more people want to move out to the middle of nowhere to "get away from it all", the more they bring "it all" with them. I was born in the biggest city in the world, and it seems the smaller the places we move to, they always grow on us and we have to go farther. The town we're in now is about 5,000 tops, about 50 miles from Minneapolis. Give it 5-10 years and I bet I will no longer live next to a cornfield.
Im happy for you that you are living next to a cornfield. While at the Indiantown Gap Military Reservation, Lebanon PA for summer camp, in the early sixties, acreage could be had fo $100 per acre but my Army pay was $3,000 per year and looking forward to a possible career in the big city the acreage didn't seem to make sense. Guess I was wrong even though Lebanon is not what it used to be. Hear anything about what's happening on the Eastern Peninsula of Michigan? Sure had some great whitefish dinners on the shore of Lake Superior and one **** cold swim!

Tags
None