"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
I use a mixture of golden delicious and mcintosh.
__________________

__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
Saphellae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,611
I got some HUGE cortland apples - so big in fact that you can't finish one in a sitting - for 49 cents a lb at a local produce store (they sell only local when available, obviously we can't get local produce in the winter here). I make apple crisps with them. Oatmeal, brown sugar, whole wheat flour as a topper. If I had a big freezer (the one on my fridge doesn't count - small) I would make a bunch and freeze them.

I can't make a crust to save my life. The balancing of ingredients intimidates me.
__________________

__________________
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 280
I made some applesauce out of jonagolds this fall. It's delicious! I bet they would be great in pie, too.
__________________
apple*tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I got some HUGE cortland apples - so big in fact that you can't finish one in a sitting - for 49 cents a lb at a local produce store (they sell only local when available, obviously we can't get local produce in the winter here). I make apple crisps with them. Oatmeal, brown sugar, whole wheat flour as a topper. If I had a big freezer (the one on my fridge doesn't count - small) I would make a bunch and freeze them.

I can't make a crust to save my life. The balancing of ingredients intimidates me.
2/3 cup lard
2 cups flour
sprinkle of icing sugar (for sweet pies)
4-5 tbsp ice water

Cut fat into flour til pieces are smaller than peas. Drizzle in the water and work the dough with COLD hands just until it sticks together. Separate into two hunks and roll 'em out. TA DA! Nothing to it girl, you can do that with your eyes closed if you can make a good crisp!
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 106
I do the same mixture as Michael in FtW (maybe it is a texan thing), I use Granny Smith and Golden Delicious, one holds its shape best, the other is more soft, and again while one is tart the other is sweet.
__________________
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, it is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle
Nyeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
Head Chef
 
Saphellae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,611
Alix - and then just put the apples in it? That's it? Seems easy!!
__________________
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Michael, what do you make with the Golden delicious? I wonder about their texture in pie. Are they not too bland and get mushy?
Nope, Alix, the Golden Delicious is both Golden and Delicious!

For apple pies I will sometimes use one or the other, sometimes both in the same pie. They all come out a little different. The Granny Smith does hold it's texture a little better, but the Golden Delicious doesn't get all that "mushy" - just definitely softer. The trick Grandma taught me was to try to get the GDs a little on the green side and let them ripen for a day or two until they are "just ripe" and they will hold up better.
__________________
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
Alix - and then just put the apples in it? That's it? Seems easy!!

Pie crusts are pretty easy but there are many different recipes. Mine is similar to alix's with some changes....


2/3 cup fat (2 parts shortening, 1 part ice cold butter in small pieces)
2 cups flour (usually I use almost 2 1/4 cups)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbls sugar
4-5 tbsp ice water

I don't do lard (vegetarian) and have found that the combination of shortening and butter gives both a soft and flaky crust. A little sugar helps the crust brown evenly.

I let the ball of dough (wrapped) rest in the fridge for 15 mins while I prep the filling. This improves texture and handling for rolling crust out.
__________________
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Pie crusts are pretty easy but there are many different recipes. Mine is similar to alix's with some changes....


2/3 cup fat (2 parts shortening, 1 part ice cold butter in small pieces)
2 cups flour (usually I use almost 2 1/4 cups)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbls sugar
4-5 tbsp ice water

I don't do lard (vegetarian) and have found that the combination of shortening and butter gives both a soft and flaky crust. A little sugar helps the crust brown evenly.

I let the ball of dough (wrapped) rest in the fridge for 15 mins while I prep the filling. This improves texture and handling for rolling crust out.
Janet, butter is OK but lard is not? Oh wait, I think I answered myself...butter is not derived from killing the animal right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
Alix - and then just put the apples in it? That's it? Seems easy!!
Saphellae, I cut up my apples and toss them with flour, brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. Then yep, toss them in the bottom crust, dot with a bit of butter, put the top crust on, pinch the edges, poke steam vents and bake it. MMMMMMMM! Easy as pie!
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #20
Head Chef
 
Saphellae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,611
I like making my food pretty - is there a special way to make dough flowers, or a nice border?
__________________

__________________
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.