What apples for pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just crimp the edges with your fingers, you can make a pretty scalloped edge that way. Otherwise, there are all kinds of fancy cutters to help with that. You will likely have a little dough leftover and can make a pretty flower to go on top.

Janet, butter is OK but lard is not? Oh wait, I think I answered myself...butter is not derived from killing the animal right?

0042.png

:angel:

apple pie

Use honeycrisp apples. I just made a great apple pie with honeycrisp apples, it was extremely tasty. Make sure to slice the apples thin.

The apple to use depends on your taste. If you like a more tart flavor, go with Jonathon, Macintosh, or Granny Smith apples. If you like a sweeter pie, then honeycrisp, or golden delicious are great apples. I like my pies a bit in between the tart and sweet flavors, and so I like to use Braeburn apples. They are crispy and hold their shape and texture well.

I also use 3 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and cut in enough lard to create the small-pebble appearance. Flour and fat can be room temp as long as it isn't over 70 degrees or so. But I do use 5 or so tbs. of ice water to help the crust remain workable. If it get too warm, then the crust becomes very soft and is hard to handle. Also, you can work the dough all day as long as the water isn't added. But once the water is added, if you work it much, it will toughen and ruin the crust. And make sure your work surface and rolling pin are well floured. The reason I use 3 cups flour is that I have deep dish pie pans and they require the extra dough.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Could I use shortening and/or margarine? No, no I am not a vegetarian, G-d forbid. I just don't want any dairy.

Charlie, Mom and Gram both used just shortening. As long as it's not for a tart shell (shortening alone may make the shell more fragile) you don't take a pie out of its pan to serve.

Apples for pie: The best that are widely available are Golden Delicious and the new Honeycrisp. Red Delicious become mealy and fall apart when cooked in any application.

I prefer a mixture of tart and sweet apples for pies, but mainly very crisp.

I have an article on my Facebook page about an impartial test that was done on apples for pie and baking, and Granny Smith lost in every test! I will post it tonight. Can't get on FB here.

I use a mixture that always starts with granny smith. I love mixing them with spartan or macs, but lately I have found the combination of grannies and gala apples to be very tasty and a nice combination of textures and tart/sweet.

Anyone ever try the Ritz Crackers Mock Apple Pie recipe? I've read some reviews on it. Most people really like it. I'm soooooo curious about it. I will have to try it one of these days. I mean, imagine, an apple pie with no apples. It's just strange enough that I'm gonna have to give it a shot.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Anyone ever try the Ritz Crackers Mock Apple Pie recipe? I've read some reviews on it. Most people really like it. I'm soooooo curious about it. I will have to try it one of these days. I mean, imagine, an apple pie with no apples. It's just strange enough that I'm gonna have to give it a shot.

I've never fixed it, but I've had it several times, and it can be pretty good! Saltine crackers replace apple slices ... successfully.

Best apple pie I ever tasted... made with pears instead of apples.. Everything else exactly the same... people think its apple, just tastes better.

The challenge, I think, lies in adjusting your recipe to suit the apples you choose, not in choosing the right apples. You can make a great apple pie with almost every variety (except maybe red delicious, and even with those if you mix them with something else). Ideally, I like to mix textures and tastes a bit and combine apples in a pie: Granny Smith and Golden Delicious, for instance, is a treat sweet/ tart and firm/soft combination, IMO.

Never tried the Ritz Mock recipe referred to, but I've seen it. I suspect it's good, but I just love the apples.

A chef friend once told me about using all and every kind of apple in pies....Have done it now for years and I must say, they do get raves....even do it that way for a fast apple strudel

i made it when i was a teenager and remember thinking it was pretty good. who knows what i'd think of it now, though. ;)

I always went the traditional Joh/Mac/Rome route depending on what was in the store. Then I made an apple galette that called for Gala. Never considered them before, but now they are usually my apple of choice. I need to take out one more than I need for the fill, though, since somehow slices of them keep finding their way into my mouth!:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom