"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
Head Chef

I use a mixture of golden delicious and mcintosh.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
Head Chef

I got some HUGE cortland apples - so big in fact that you can't finish one in a sitting - for 49 cents a lb at a local produce store (they sell only local when available, obviously we can't get local produce in the winter here). I make apple crisps with them. Oatmeal, brown sugar, whole wheat flour as a topper. If I had a big freezer (the one on my fridge doesn't count - small) I would make a bunch and freeze them.

I can't make a crust to save my life. The balancing of ingredients intimidates me.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I made some applesauce out of jonagolds this fall. It's delicious! I bet they would be great in pie, too.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I got some HUGE cortland apples - so big in fact that you can't finish one in a sitting - for 49 cents a lb at a local produce store (they sell only local when available, obviously we can't get local produce in the winter here). I make apple crisps with them. Oatmeal, brown sugar, whole wheat flour as a topper. If I had a big freezer (the one on my fridge doesn't count - small) I would make a bunch and freeze them.

I can't make a crust to save my life. The balancing of ingredients intimidates me.
2/3 cup lard
2 cups flour
sprinkle of icing sugar (for sweet pies)
4-5 tbsp ice water

Cut fat into flour til pieces are smaller than peas. Drizzle in the water and work the dough with COLD hands just until it sticks together. Separate into two hunks and roll 'em out. TA DA! Nothing to it girl, you can do that with your eyes closed if you can make a good crisp!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I do the same mixture as Michael in FtW (maybe it is a texan thing), I use Granny Smith and Golden Delicious, one holds its shape best, the other is more soft, and again while one is tart the other is sweet.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
Head Chef

Alix - and then just put the apples in it? That's it? Seems easy!!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Michael, what do you make with the Golden delicious? I wonder about their texture in pie. Are they not too bland and get mushy?
Nope, Alix, the Golden Delicious is both Golden and Delicious!

For apple pies I will sometimes use one or the other, sometimes both in the same pie. They all come out a little different. The Granny Smith does hold it's texture a little better, but the Golden Delicious doesn't get all that "mushy" - just definitely softer. The trick Grandma taught me was to try to get the GDs a little on the green side and let them ripen for a day or two until they are "just ripe" and they will hold up better.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:

Pie crusts are pretty easy but there are many different recipes. Mine is similar to alix's with some changes....

2/3 cup fat (2 parts shortening, 1 part ice cold butter in small pieces)
2 cups flour (usually I use almost 2 1/4 cups)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbls sugar
4-5 tbsp ice water

I don't do lard (vegetarian) and have found that the combination of shortening and butter gives both a soft and flaky crust. A little sugar helps the crust brown evenly.

I let the ball of dough (wrapped) rest in the fridge for 15 mins while I prep the filling. This improves texture and handling for rolling crust out.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Pie crusts are pretty easy but there are many different recipes. Mine is similar to alix's with some changes....

2/3 cup fat (2 parts shortening, 1 part ice cold butter in small pieces)
2 cups flour (usually I use almost 2 1/4 cups)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbls sugar
4-5 tbsp ice water

I don't do lard (vegetarian) and have found that the combination of shortening and butter gives both a soft and flaky crust. A little sugar helps the crust brown evenly.

I let the ball of dough (wrapped) rest in the fridge for 15 mins while I prep the filling. This improves texture and handling for rolling crust out.
Janet, butter is OK but lard is not? Oh wait, I think I answered myself...butter is not derived from killing the animal right?

Quote:
Saphellae, I cut up my apples and toss them with flour, brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. Then yep, toss them in the bottom crust, dot with a bit of butter, put the top crust on, pinch the edges, poke steam vents and bake it. MMMMMMMM! Easy as pie!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #20
Head Chef

I like making my food pretty - is there a special way to make dough flowers, or a nice border?

Tags
None