What apples for pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
My family loves pie and I like making them. Apple pie is a regular but choosing which apples to use is a dilemma. Some apples seem better suited for pie than others or more flavorful, but those good pie apples aren't always the best buy at the market.
As an example, a few days ago locally grown and fresh fuji's were 49 cents per lb but most other varieties of apple were over 1.49 per lb. Since a pie calls for about 2lbs of apple this is a noticeable amount of money. I used the fujis and predictably the apple flavor in the pie was flat and the moisture content high.

What apples do you use? Do you buy the cheapest or sale apples even if they aren't really good pie apples and make do?

We can't buy Cortlands here (though a few friends have trees) and I like them too. My favorite apple for pie is a granny though. Failing that I will use either a Mac or a Spartan. Fujis are too granular as are the Delicious IMO. Galas are too bland in a pie.

Just what I was going to say Michael. I've used Granny Smith, but was told the golden delicious was outstanding for baking.
kades

my fav for apple pie is Golden Delicious - peeled & cored, sprtiz of lemon juice, dash of salt, cin&sugar, smattering of cornstarch, double crust.

(nope, I don't measure any of it....)

Granny Smith is usually touted because it maintains its crisp - well, I prefer taste over crunch - but that's me.

and certainly if I'm gonna' go to the trouble of making my own pie, I want top rate stuff to go in it - I absolutely pass on the bargain bin apples. . .

i like to use a mixtureof 3 different one like cortland - granny smith - macs -empires and sometime red delious

The 3 i found to be the best together is cortland- macs and red delious

I got some HUGE cortland apples - so big in fact that you can't finish one in a sitting - for 49 cents a lb at a local produce store (they sell only local when available, obviously we can't get local produce in the winter here). I make apple crisps with them. Oatmeal, brown sugar, whole wheat flour as a topper. If I had a big freezer (the one on my fridge doesn't count - small) I would make a bunch and freeze them.

I can't make a crust to save my life. The balancing of ingredients intimidates me.

I got some HUGE cortland apples - so big in fact that you can't finish one in a sitting - for 49 cents a lb at a local produce store (they sell only local when available, obviously we can't get local produce in the winter here). I make apple crisps with them. Oatmeal, brown sugar, whole wheat flour as a topper. If I had a big freezer (the one on my fridge doesn't count - small) I would make a bunch and freeze them.

I can't make a crust to save my life. The balancing of ingredients intimidates me.

2/3 cup lard
2 cups flour
sprinkle of icing sugar (for sweet pies)
4-5 tbsp ice water

Cut fat into flour til pieces are smaller than peas. Drizzle in the water and work the dough with COLD hands just until it sticks together. Separate into two hunks and roll 'em out. TA DA! Nothing to it girl, you can do that with your eyes closed if you can make a good crisp!

I do the same mixture as Michael in FtW (maybe it is a texan thing), I use Granny Smith and Golden Delicious, one holds its shape best, the other is more soft, and again while one is tart the other is sweet.

Michael, what do you make with the Golden delicious? I wonder about their texture in pie. Are they not too bland and get mushy?

Nope, Alix, the Golden Delicious is both Golden and Delicious! :ROFLMAO:

For apple pies I will sometimes use one or the other, sometimes both in the same pie. They all come out a little different. The Granny Smith does hold it's texture a little better, but the Golden Delicious doesn't get all that "mushy" - just definitely softer. The trick Grandma taught me was to try to get the GDs a little on the green side and let them ripen for a day or two until they are "just ripe" and they will hold up better.

Alix - and then just put the apples in it? That's it? Seems easy!!

Pie crusts are pretty easy but there are many different recipes. Mine is similar to alix's with some changes....

2/3 cup fat (2 parts shortening, 1 part ice cold butter in small pieces)
2 cups flour (usually I use almost 2 1/4 cups)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbls sugar
4-5 tbsp ice water

I don't do lard (vegetarian) and have found that the combination of shortening and butter gives both a soft and flaky crust. A little sugar helps the crust brown evenly.

I let the ball of dough (wrapped) rest in the fridge for 15 mins while I prep the filling. This improves texture and handling for rolling crust out.

Pie crusts are pretty easy but there are many different recipes. Mine is similar to alix's with some changes....

2/3 cup fat (2 parts shortening, 1 part ice cold butter in small pieces)
2 cups flour (usually I use almost 2 1/4 cups)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbls sugar
4-5 tbsp ice water

I don't do lard (vegetarian) and have found that the combination of shortening and butter gives both a soft and flaky crust. A little sugar helps the crust brown evenly.

I let the ball of dough (wrapped) rest in the fridge for 15 mins while I prep the filling. This improves texture and handling for rolling crust out.

Janet, butter is OK but lard is not? Oh wait, I think I answered myself...butter is not derived from killing the animal right?

Alix - and then just put the apples in it? That's it? Seems easy!!

Saphellae, I cut up my apples and toss them with flour, brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. Then yep, toss them in the bottom crust, dot with a bit of butter, put the top crust on, pinch the edges, poke steam vents and bake it. MMMMMMMM! Easy as pie! ;)

Back
Top Bottom