What are the best pie(s) you make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Evil thread... I love pie! Cherry is about my favorite)

I make a cherry tart occasionally. It's sour cherries, sweet dark cherries, dried cherries and toasted hazel nuts. it also has a little kirsch added and definitely has a linzer torte vibe.

Proper Aspic Jelly for Grosvenor Pie

Okay, Colonials: enough with this fruit pie nonsense! Us Brits invented the pie-idea and firmly believe that any pie that doesn't feature something that once went "oink" is not a pie: it's a tart, or a ... clafoutis, or a boysenberry or something.

There's perhaps only one thing better than a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie, and that is Grosvenor Pie (which I've seen on the site, but now can't find.) A long rectangular pie made with hot-water-crust pastry, veal and ham, a layer of hard-boiled eggs down the middle, and the whole thing filled with clarified aspic jelly. Here we go:

293.jpg

It's an all-weekend project, so might as well make two while you're at it: they would keep for about a month in the fridge, but will vanish long before that. A 1" slab of cold pie, some Coleman's mustard, a little salt, and a pint of bitter is a right-proper British pub lunch, perhaps only surpassed by two slabs, four pints, and an equally-deadbeat co-worker.

Here's a decent Grosvenor Pie recipe that's only missing three things: veal, aspic, and proper care. The aspic is key. I much prefer to cut the meat bigger so there are interstices the aspic can fill, and I also like to paint the crust interior with a couple of coats of warm aspic and allow it to set before filling the pie, rendering the crust hopefully waterproof.

img28873.488x294.jpg

If you make pastry, but have never made hot-water-crust pastry, it's basically everything you've learned never to do. Make a roux with the flour and lard, then add boiling water and knead with plastic gloves on? The result is dense, stodgy, and utterly essential to this pie.

How many people still make aspic from scratch? It's got a kinda ... Agatha Christie taint attached to it, dunnit? It's glorious, but almost extinct. Modern recipes call for ordinary stock set with gelatin: pah! The real thing uses chicken feet and pigs' trotters and smoked knuckles, and sets at room temperature without added gelatin. Here's a real recipe from Hungary that is better than mine (ears and snouts? Duh!) but would nonetheless improve with addition of some chopped chicken feet and a couple of chicken backs. Paint the assembled pie with a heavy cream/egg-yolk wash for a bright glaze, bake, and while still warm from the oven, remove from pie-tin, wrap tightly in plastic wrap in case of leaks, return to pie-tin, pour warmed aspic through the top-holes, giving the pie a shoogle and a shake from time to time to get the air-pockets out, until brim-full of aspic. Refrigerate overnight in the plastic wrap, and grab your Coleman's mustard.

A closing question: commercial versions of this pie use hard-boiled egg-tubes that have the same-width yolk running down the middle. They're made by breaking eggs into a cylindrical centrifuge and boiling until set. I've racked my brain for years to find a way to recreate that, because here I get glorious eggs from perhaps the happiest chickens in the world. Here's the standard solution, which lacks the asthetics:

img28879.488x294.jpg

I'm not American so I make Russian cakes, which by American neither cake nor pie. But, I have to tell you Sam's club sells the absolute best apple pie ever. It's unbaked, frozen. Absolutely delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

My favorite pies are savory, though. Cornish pasties are at the top of the list...

img_1471533_0_63bdb0196c65089c6a1057b1493a74cb.jpg

img_1471533_1_5905e8cbaf880c517b513f1fe498ff23.jpg

Steve, that pastie is a work of art. The ingredients shown in the cut pastie look spot-on, and cooked perfectly. Understand, I am no stranger to the pastie. My mother and uncle (her brother) once owned a bakery, and one of their specialties was pasties. In the U.P., we are famous for our pasties. So when I say that your pastie is a work of art, I know what I'm talking about. Nice job.

Oh, and another pasty tip my parents didn't know: You an take a bit of your pastry dough and form into a snake. Lay this piece of cough 2/3rds across your pre-folded pastie. Put your savory filling on one side of the snake, and desert filling on the other. When folded, the snake will create a wall between the desert and main course side. then end result is dinner and desert in one pastie. I have done this and it works beautifully.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, that is the way the wives of miners would make theirs. They also put a handle on the end. The miner would eat everything but the handle. :angel:

Steve, that pastie is a work of art. The ingredients shown in the cut pastie look spot-on, and cooked perfectly. Understand, I am no stranger to the pastie. My mother and uncle (her brother) once owned a bakery, and one of their specialties was pasties. In the U.P., we are famous for our pasties. So when I say that your pastie is a work of art, I know what I'm talking about. Nice job.
Thanks Chief!

Where I grew up in southwest Wisconsin, pasties are also very popular. Towns like Lead Mine and Mineral Point were centered around mining activities in the early 1800s, and most of those miners came from Cornwall originally. Of course they brought pasty recipes, too.

The recipe I use comes directly from the Cornish Pasty Association. Yes, there is such a thing. Their authentic recipe can be found here:
http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/cornish-pasty-recipe.pdf

It covers everything, right down to the proper crimping method for sealing the crust.

Unfortunately, due to dietary restrictions, I no longer eat wheat or potatoes. So it's been some time since I had a pasty myself. One of these days I'm going to have to sit down and remake my recipe to fit the new reality. :chef:

Last edited:
Here's a pie question for you all.
We visited Minot, ND last week.

There was a pie offered at a restaurant, a "Perrette Pie", this pie had a chocolate layer on the bottom and a white layer on top of that. I have never heard of this Perrette Pie, ever.

Since returning home I googled it. There was ONE recipe for a pie made with a white cheese filling (like a cottage cheese filling). No history on this pie. No idea where it originated. Google has little to nothing on it and I've never heard of it before.

Anyone ever hear of it?

Here's a pie question for you all.
We visited Minot, ND last week.

There was a pie offered at a restaurant, a "Perrette Pie", this pie had a chocolate layer on the bottom and a white layer on top of that. I have never heard of this Perrette Pie, ever.

Since returning home I googled it. There was ONE recipe for a pie made with a white cheese filling (like a cottage cheese filling). No history on this pie. No idea where it originated. Google has little to nothing on it and I've never heard of it before.

Anyone ever hear of it?

I looked up the Medieval History of Food. It appears that this pie is English in origin. During the days of Robin and Lady Marion. It is named after a visiting French Nobleman by the name of Perrette. He had two loves. Food and dancing. :angel:

Very excellent work Addie! Any recipes for it out there?

Well, this is the only one I found. The white cheese is cottage cheese. You will have to translate the measurements. The recipe in the History Of Medieval Pies was in French and Italian. I did recognize the word ricotta though. Italian for a type of cheese similar to cottage cheese.

http://www.delicioza.com/recipe/Pie-Perrette :angel:

PIE!

chocolate pie with rocks.jpg

a favorite from my childhood, Chocolate Dream Pie with an embellishment of Chocolate "rock" candies

chicken pot pie.jpg

a savory Chicken Pot Pie, made in my cast iron skillet, DA BOMB!

chocolate buttermilk pie.jpg

I'm not particularly a fan of Chocolate, but Chocolate Buttermilk pie will do me in !!!!

meyer lemon merique pie.jpg

ALL from scratch, Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie, OY! I piped the meringue in a pastry bag with a large open star tip, BEAUTIFUL!

apple crostata pie.jpg

Fresh Apple Crostata, easier than Apple Pie and tastier too

pumkin pie.jpg

Ya gotta have Pumpkin pie!

Last edited:
My coconut cream is my most requested, and I have to say it is excellent.

I also make a mean peach pie with a recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

Evil thread... I love pie! Cherry is about my favorite)

I make a cherry tart occasionally. It's sour cherries, sweet dark cherries, dried cherries and toasted hazel nuts. it also has a little kirsch added and definitely has a linzer torte vibe.
How did I miss this post? Please post your recipe for the cherry tart.
27696-albums1090-picture7034.gif

How did I miss this post? Please post your recipe for the cherry tart.
27696-albums1090-picture7034.gif

OK - but it's embarrassingly easy... and I will deny the canned shortcut involved if ever pressed. I make this often because I almost always have the ingredients on hand as none are perishable. It's my 'go to' "can you please bring an awesome dessert to the party" dish.

Make double crust pie crust - your best recipe.

Filling:

1 can cherry pie filling. (yes, I know...)
1 C frozen dark cherries
1 C sour pie cherries (I use frozen)
1/2 C dried cherries soaked in kirsch
1/4 C kirsch (for the soak)
1 TBSP lemon zest
1/8 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup toasted hazlenuts, roughly chopped. I buy these whole, toast and give them a couple of chops - pieces as large at a half a nut are fine.
dot with butter

To soak dried cherries: Pour kirsch over dried cherries in small cup or glass and microwave until fairly hot but not boiling. let them sit fir a few mins to "improve'

The key here is to use the canned pie filling as a base and add enough other kinds of cherries to fill your shell. The dried cherries and nuts absorb moisture and balance the addition of the frozen cherries. If you can't find sour pie cherries, just double up on the dark ones and add a touch of lemon juice.

A lattice top also allows some moisture to be given up.

This tart is not very sweet. the added sugar in the can should suffice but if you like it sweeter - go for it or sprinkle sugar over the top, which looks nice.

Bake as pie and top w/ almonds.

cherry tart.jpg

OK - but it's embarrassingly easy... and I will deny the canned shortcut involved if ever pressed. I make this often because I almost always have the ingredients on hand as none are perishable. It's my 'go to' "can you please bring an awesome dessert to the party" dish.

Make double crust pie crust - your best recipe.

Filling:

1 can cherry pie filling. (yes, I know...)
1 C frozen dark cherries
1 C sour pie cherries (I use frozen)
1/2 C dried cherries soaked in kirsch
1/4 C kirsch (for the soak)
1 TBSP lemon zest
1/8 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup toasted hazlenuts, roughly chopped. I buy these whole, toast and give them a couple of chops - pieces as large at a half a nut are fine.
dot with butter

To soak dried cherries: Pour kirsch over dried cherries in small cup or glass and microwave until fairly hot but not boiling. let them sit fir a few mins to "improve'

The key here is to use the canned pie filling as a base and add enough other kinds of cherries to fill your shell. The dried cherries and nuts absorb moisture and balance the addition of the frozen cherries. If you can't find sour pie cherries, just double up on the dark ones and add a touch of lemon juice.

A lattice top also allows some moisture to be given up.

This tart is not very sweet. the added sugar in the can should suffice but if you like it sweeter - go for it or sprinkle sugar over the top, which looks nice.

Bake as pie and top w/ almonds.

View attachment 27483

Thank you so much! I use cherry pie filling also. I like Comstock.

Great thread... :yum:

As I have stated, in many posts, I'm learning about desserts for two..

Single sweet pie recipes for 6 or 7 inch pie pans seem difficult to find.. I've been trying to adapt tart and standard pie recipes, to mixed satisfaction..

If anyone has recipes which fit 6/7 inch pie pans to share, I'd be grateful..
PM's would be fine if you don't want to take up time and space here.. :)

I use and like pre-made pie crusts so, I guess I'm looking for filling quantity and prep method..
Ross

Great thread... :yum:

As I have stated, in many posts, I'm learning about desserts for two..

Single sweet pie recipes for 6 or 7 inch pie pans seem difficult to find.. I've been trying to adapt tart and standard pie recipes, to mixed satisfaction..

If anyone has recipes which fit 6/7 inch pie pans to share, I'd be grateful..
PM's would be fine if you don't want to take up time and space here.. :)

I use and like pre-made pie crusts so, I guess I'm looking for filling quantity and prep method..
Ross

I have converted regular recipes to use in mini 5" pie plates.
For a 2 crust pie recipe I get 4 mini pies - I divide into 8 portions (4 top and 4 bottom crusts). Divide filling into 4 portions. Continue as normal. I have noticed that cooking times don't change much. Not sure why.

Above pictured mini two crust apple pies and chicken pot pies

For mini bottom crust only pies I get 8 mini.
Divide dough into 8 portions and line mini pie plates.
For custard/precooked crust - line with parchment paper and pie weights to blind bake.

Pictured below mini pumpkin pie.

Hope this helps.

I have converted regular recipes to use in mini 5" pie plates.
For a 2 crust pie recipe I get 4 mini pies - I divide into 8 portions (4 top and 4 bottom crusts). Divide filling into 4 portions. Continue as normal. I have noticed that cooking times don't change much. Not sure why.

Above pictured mini two crust apple pies and chicken pot pies

For mini bottom crust only pies I get 8 mini.
Divide dough into 8 portions and line mini pie plates.
For custard/precooked crust - line with parchment paper and pie weights to blind bake.

Pictured below mini pumpkin pie.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, msmofet... :)

What I am trying to do is make single pies.. What I am trying to avoid is having 2, 3, 4, custard, lemon, pumpkin, etc. pies at one time..

I now make a single 7" strawberry pie.. That gives us each 2 small servings (two nights).. I could use a standard recipe and make two small pies but, that means we have to eat that particular pie 4 days in a row.. That's what I am trying to avoid..

I'd like to make a pumpkin, etc., pie for us, without carryover...

I can do that with cakes, bread pudding, cobblers, etc., but, I'm still working on small two person pies..

Ross

Thank you, msmofet... :)

What I am trying to do is make single pies.. What I am trying to avoid is having 2, 3, 4, custard, lemon, pumpkin, etc. pies at one time..

I now make a single 7" strawberry pie.. That gives us each 2 small servings (two nights).. I could use a standard recipe and make two small pies but, that means we have to eat that particular pie 4 days in a row.. That's what I am trying to avoid..

I'd like to make a pumpkin, etc., pie for us, without carryover...

I can do that with cakes, bread pudding, cobblers, etc., but, I'm still working on small two person pies..

Ross

Just a thought ... You could make multiple pies and freeze them in the mini pie plates. When frozen solid pop them out of plate and wrap. Sort of like a Sara Lee frozen pie. When you want a single serving pie take one out, place in your pie plate and pop in oven to bake off. Personally I think my 5" pie plates are a nice (if smallish) single serving. Approx. 1/8 or 1 slice of a normal size pie; I use a recipe for 1 Libby Pumpkin pie and get 8 - 5" pies. A 7" plate is probably a more generous serving.
Sorry I couldn't be more help. I cook for 4 people so it works out good for us.

Last edited:
Many years ago, I found six small individual pie plates at a yard sale. Ceramic. They sat unused for many years. Then when I was making an apple pie, all I had was my big deep dish plates and those individual ones. I really didn't want to make a big one for just the two of us. I knew I would eat one sliver piece. Aha! I made the filling as I always did, got out those individual ones and placed four of them wrapped so nicely in the freezer. Pirate got his and I had made mine a lot smaller than his. He ended up finishing mine.

Those freezer pies lasted about five months in the freezer. Pirate would take just one out, allow it to thaw and then bake it.

Back
Top Bottom