"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
Cut into strips and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar bake and eat while warm :).
DH always thinks I should make a mini pie like his mom did, but frankly I never think of it as my family always did the cinnamon/sugar strips.
__________________

__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Truth? I roll into a ball and wrap it tightly. Then it goes in the fridge for later use. It gets thrown out when it grows something.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Nun's Farts
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Cut into strips and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar bake and eat while warm :).
DH always thinks I should make a mini pie like his mom did, but frankly I never think of it as my family always did the cinnamon/sugar strips.
I used to cut pita bread into strips, quick fry, drain on brown paper, and then sprinkle with 10X sugar. Kept a bowl of them on the table for the kids to pick at. They are still a favorite. My daughter is doing Christmas this year for her and hubby's family. She asked me to make up a big bowl of them again. I made them about five years ago for a party she was throwing and they were a big hit.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I used to cut pita bread into strips, quick fry, drain on brown paper, and then sprinkle with 10X sugar. Kept a bowl of them on the table for the kids to pick at. They are still a favorite. My daughter is doing Christmas this year for her and hubby's family. She asked me to make up a big bowl of them again. I made them about five years ago for a party she was throwing and they were a big hit.
That sounds like it would be particularly yummy if fried in butter.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That sounds like it would be particularly yummy if fried in butter.
Everything with butter tastes better. I love Julia Child. She too could never have too much butter.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
I carefully roll out the leftovers, cut them into strips, sprinkle them with coarse vanilla sugar or cinnamon sugar, and pop them in the oven with the pie. I then promptly forget about them til I take the pie and the blackened strips out of the oven. I have always done it that way.
__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I carefully roll out the leftovers, cut them into strips, sprinkle them with coarse vanilla sugar or cinnamon sugar, and pop them in the oven with the pie. I then promptly forget about them til I take the pie and the blackened strips out of the oven. I have always done it that way.
Well, at least yours don't take space in the fridge for a few weeks.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Nun's Farts

That is what my brothers called them!

My mother would always be properly horrified!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I carefully roll out the leftovers, cut them into strips, sprinkle them with coarse vanilla sugar or cinnamon sugar, and pop them in the oven with the pie. I then promptly forget about them til I take the pie and the blackened strips out of the oven. I have always done it that way.
They say charcoal is good for cleansing out your system.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.