What do you do with leftover pie dough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texherp

Senior Cook
My grandma would use the leftover "rollin's" to make what we called cinnamon rolls where you just sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on the dough pieces and roll them up and bake them with the pie.

We make "pie crust cookies" by simply taking the left over dough, and making it insto a flattened ball. It's then re-rolled (don't work it much or you will make very tough cookies) and spread with butter. Sprinkle with cinammon and sugar and bake until lightly browned. Then eat with your favorite jelly/jam/peanut butter, etc. I like mine plain, or with apple butter. Yum!:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last week when I was making the apple pies, I took the leftover dough and rerolled it. Got a handful of blueberries out of the freezer, tossed with some sugar, flour and lemon extract, and made a turnover to go into the oven with the pies. Although I much prefer fresh fruit for my pies, I always keep some frozen fruit in the freezer. It comes in handy.

Here the left over dough goes to the dogs. Literally! ( Dog Treats )

I brush the cut dough with bacon grease and bake them.
No wonder I have fat dogs.. :ohmy:

Munky.

Spread a little jam on it and bake it.

My grandmother used to make tarts out of leftover pie dough...With her homemade damson plum preserves (out of this world) or store-bought strawberry jam. Pure delight.

Cut into strips and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar bake and eat while warm :).
DH always thinks I should make a mini pie like his mom did, but frankly I never think of it as my family always did the cinnamon/sugar strips.

Truth? I roll into a ball and wrap it tightly. Then it goes in the fridge for later use. It gets thrown out when it grows something. :ermm: :LOL:

Cut into strips and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar bake and eat while warm :).
DH always thinks I should make a mini pie like his mom did, but frankly I never think of it as my family always did the cinnamon/sugar strips.

I used to cut pita bread into strips, quick fry, drain on brown paper, and then sprinkle with 10X sugar. Kept a bowl of them on the table for the kids to pick at. They are still a favorite. My daughter is doing Christmas this year for her and hubby's family. She asked me to make up a big bowl of them again. I made them about five years ago for a party she was throwing and they were a big hit. :chef:

I used to cut pita bread into strips, quick fry, drain on brown paper, and then sprinkle with 10X sugar. Kept a bowl of them on the table for the kids to pick at. They are still a favorite. My daughter is doing Christmas this year for her and hubby's family. She asked me to make up a big bowl of them again. I made them about five years ago for a party she was throwing and they were a big hit. :chef:

That sounds like it would be particularly yummy if fried in butter. :pig:

I carefully roll out the leftovers, cut them into strips, sprinkle them with coarse vanilla sugar or cinnamon sugar, and pop them in the oven with the pie. I then promptly forget about them til I take the pie and the blackened strips out of the oven. I have always done it that way. :ROFLMAO:

I carefully roll out the leftovers, cut them into strips, sprinkle them with coarse vanilla sugar or cinnamon sugar, and pop them in the oven with the pie. I then promptly forget about them til I take the pie and the blackened strips out of the oven. I have always done it that way. :ROFLMAO:

Well, at least yours don't take space in the fridge for a few weeks. :ROFLMAO:

They say charcoal is good for cleansing out your system. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom