What's With the Palm Sugar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
Not sure where to post this.
I purchased a jar of Palm Sugar. None of the jars in the market were dated, but when I got home and opened it, it was hard as a rock. The top was white, under that it was applesauce colored. I could not get a spoon or a knife in it. Just broke apart, crumbled. Is that how it should be? Or is it like Brown Sugar, which I can get soft again in the microwave or by placing a moist towelette in the container overnight. I ended up taking it back and getting a refund.

All the palm sugar we've ever purchased was just like that.

We bought some at HEB a week or two ago that came in a resealable plastic bag. It is dry and very loose.

I bought it due to claims of low-glycemic value. It doesn't taste sweet like granulated sugar...more subdued. What do you do with it.

We bought some at HEB a week or two ago that came in a resealable plastic bag. It is dry and very loose.

I bought it due to claims of low-glycemic value. It doesn't taste sweet like granulated sugar...more subdued. What do you do with it.

I'll have to look the recipes up, but several Thai and Chinese dishes call for palm sugar. The jared stuff usually is in some liquid. If I recall the same dishes also use tamarind paste.

Last edited:
With rock hard palm sugar, you can either zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften, or just use a box grater and shave off what you need.

Last edited:
With rock hard palm sugar, you can either zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften, or just use a box grater and shave off what you need.

I'll have to try the stuff in the bag. No way could I get any out of that jar for grating. I wanted to try it in my Thai recipes. Maybe stick w/brown sugar instead. Most of the recipes say to use either one.

I buy mine in a brick form. Just break it up or grate it. Didn't even know it comes in jars. Maybe you can get it out by placing the jar in hot water till it softens?

I buy mine in a brick form. Just break it up or grate it. Didn't even know it comes in jars. Maybe you can get it out by placing the jar in hot water till it softens?
I've never seen it in jars, either. The stuff I buy at an Asian grocery looks like little beige hockey pucks. :)

I've never seen it in jars, either. The stuff I buy at an Asian grocery looks like little beige hockey pucks. :)

It does sound a bit odd to put it in a jar. The kind we get comes in a shape similar to a flower pot. I chop it into chunks and store in airtight containers. My kids often take a piece and eat it like candy :LOL:

ya, when I thought it was strange being in a jar too, but I expected it to be soft. It was hard as a rock. Never having purchased it before I thought something was wrong with it. It must have been old to be so hard. Like I said I took it back. They do have some wrapped in plastic in smaller amounts. It felt soft when I squeezed it so I'll pick up some of that. Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom