Which is the BEST Apple Pie recipes from each county in the UK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got friends in Dorset who own commercial apple and pear orchards, Lulu. The local scrumpy is absolutely lethal! Like you, I'm not too keen on cider, but I use it a lot in cooking, particularly for pork dishes.

I've got two Bramleys, two Worcester Pearmains, 2 Cox's orange pippins two Dunn's Seedlings and 3 unknowns.... very old trees and I have no idea of the varieties, 2 of the three can be used as 'eaters' or 'cookers' - but the third is DEFINITELY a cooker - almost tarter than Bramleys and doesn't go to froth like Bramleys (my fave, by the way!)

Oh, now I'm even greener with envy. So much for a thread on apple pies. Maybe it is the different apples that are responsible for the "regional" nature of the pies.

Well thank goodness we are demonstrating some pride in British food! Goodness knows its been missing for long enough.

As I said earlier I am sure that the apple variety has a lot to do with differences in pie. As does type of pastry etc. Really, as Snoop points out, much of the ingrediants are the same in Northern Continental Europe and differences are slight. If I am honest then I suppose French apple pies are probably more my taste and if I could eat apple pie in ony one country it would be there.. I am not a huge tarte tatin fan, but those light finely sliced apple and puff pastry affairs that look too good to eat are heaven. But, a good apple pie with a good custard is pd good too, and I'm pleased too. And quicker to make!

Back
Top Bottom