"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
BettyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hull, Texas
Posts: 243
Why does my meringue bead?

Itís a very small problem but I wish I knew how to make it stop. If anyone knows I would appreciate any help I can get.


__________________

__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Scroll about half-way down (the question by Ljalex) should have your answer. Alton Brown FN Chat 2000-07-17

Alton also talkes more about this in the episode "I Pie". (okay I admin maybe I watch his shows WAY too much)
__________________

__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
Itís a very small problem but I wish I knew how to make it stop. If anyone knows I would appreciate any help I can get.


does it do it every time? goggled and it is too much moisture in the air. i don't do many pies cake person, but don't remember having the problem. good luck.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,408
Shirley Corriher, in her book - Cookwise, also says the beading is due to overcooking.

Try cooking it at a higher temperature for a shorter period of time. To prevent shrinkage, make sure you spread the meringue onto the crust all around the pie. That gives it something to hold onto so it won't shrink back.

I put the hot filling into the crust then immediately add the meringue to the edge and bake. The meringue will cook faster if it's put onto a hot filling.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
I always liked a small amount of beading on meringue pies, especially as a kid.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Senior Cook
 
BettyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hull, Texas
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Scroll about half-way down (the question by Ljalex) should have your answer. Alton Brown FN Chat 2000-07-17

Alton also talkes more about this in the episode "I Pie". (okay I admin maybe I watch his shows WAY too much)
Thanks I love Alton Brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
does it do it every time? goggled and it is too much moisture in the air. i don't do many pies cake person, but don't remember having the problem. good luck.
Yes, I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, it's always humid here. It's a rare day that the humidity is low here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Shirley Corriher, in her book - Cookwise, also says the beading is due to overcooking.

Try cooking it at a higher temperature for a shorter period of time. To prevent shrinkage, make sure you spread the meringue onto the crust all around the pie. That gives it something to hold onto so it won't shrink back.

I put the hot filling into the crust then immediately add the meringue to the edge and bake. The meringue will cook faster if it's put onto a hot filling.
I'll do that...thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I always liked a small amount of beading on meringue pies, especially as a kid.

Barbara
I guess it would look cool to a kid.
__________________

__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.