"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 12-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Actually of all the various high powered rums I have tried, Gosling's Black Seal (made in Bermuda) has the best flavor. In the 80 proof line Cruzan Black Strap rum and Myer's are very good along with Gosling's 80 proof. On the more economical end of things, Ron Virgin makes an excellent dark, black rum for nearly half the price of Gosling's which runs around $18 bucks here. Mind you, these are just my humble opinions. I was wonderin' if you might share that rum cake recipe?

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
yes second on the rum cake recipe plz!

EvoFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
I wouldn't bother using 151 as the alcohol will evaporate out during cooking. You might want a strong flavored rum but not a high alcohol one.
Myldbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Master Chef
Zhizara, that was my post, and I'll repeat it. Picture it. 40-50 of your nearest and dearest going to arrive in an hour or two. Hubby thought that if regular rum was good, 151 would be better. My husband made the eggnog, and I was doing last minute dressing -- house and self. He poured in the rum and I heard him yelling and swearing. Ran to the kitchen and he was watching stuff rise to the top of the pitcher or bowl (don't remember which he was using). He thought the half-and-half maybe wasn't as fresh as it should be. I just started laughing. "Look, hun, that's scrambled eggs!" The 151 cooked the eggs. He was in a panic. He'd promised his much-beloved eggnog. I just laughed and brought out a sieve and we strained it. Heck, at least we didn't have to worry about raw egg! (OK, don't give me grief). I guess it is sort of like lime juice cooking fish.

If you want more rum flavor, instead of going up in alcohol content, just go to a darker rum, or, if you like it, spiced rum. More alcohol content just equals getting drunk faster, not more flavor.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

bacardi 151 rum, recipe

151 rum I have made rum cakes using dark rum 80 proof and it was yummy! I want to make it stronger using 151 proof but I am not sure if it will still taste good. Has anyone tried it?? I need help!! 3 stars 1 reviews