"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
Master Chef
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
I often make the "cake mix and soda" type of thing, and since this only calls for water, I wonder if that means I can use something other than soda for that?
Like juice, or .... Anyone?
Do tell!!
"Cake mix and soda?" Do you mean cake mix and baking soda, or cake mix and soda pop? How do you make your snack cake?

Gahh, hope this isn't the start of a left turn to this thread about what a carbonated drink should be called. Been there done that.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
Senior Cook
Hmm, I do make a cake-flavored jello shot. Doesn't call for soda, though.

rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #23
Assistant Cook
No way! This sounds awesome!! So gonna do this! Why didn't I think of this?? hahaha
DumbSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #24
Executive Chef
This sounds like a great thing to have when my grandsons come to visit. Love the idea! Thanks for giving us something so fun and easy, and tasty!
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #25
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I did another 321 cake tonight. It's really nice to have just enough cake for one good serving without having to worry about leftovers for days. As I mentioned before I used a chocolate cake mix with the angel food. Tonight when I made the little cake I added about 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa to the mix. It worked great and bumped up the chocolate flavor. Love it.
That's the problem I have with cakes: worrying about leftovers. Unfortunately my worry lasts only a day or two, or less! This is the principal reason I don't cook deserts!

So let me suggest, throw some chocolate chips in there next time,, to go along with your cocoa!

Or even better, take some chocolate peanut butter cups and break them up and add them to the mix!

For me the ideal dessert recipe takes hours to cook and hopefully too much labor for me to cook except every few years.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #26
Executive Chef
I love this diet Chocolate cake breakfast could help you lose weight - Telegraph
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Kayelle, I tried this tonight, and it was total awesomeness! Looking forward to adding nuts, maybe some choc chips. Thanks for sharing!
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
Head Chef
In case anyone is interested. I made the 321 cake this evening . I have an 1100 watt microwave. This time I set it on 35 seconds. I was very pleased with the outcome. it was a little less chewy than when I set it for one minute. The dd and her friend wanted some so I made a double batch. Nuked it for one minute and it was great too. I think for the slightly more powerful ovens the shorter time period for cooking is the way to go.
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #29
Sous Chef
I must have sweet cravings lately, between this post and Greg's brownie post I am craving something dessert like! I bought the mixes for this at the grocery store this evening. I also have mini PB cups Im going to try in them.
"Omit and substitute! That's how recipes should be written. Please don't ever get so hung up on published recipes that you forget that you can omit and substitute."
Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #30
Head Chef
ooohhh...melt the peanut butter cups on top of the cake when it comes out of the oven still hot. That has to be awesome!

joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote

cake, recipe

3, 2, 1 Cake 3, 2, 1 CAKE I got this in an email, so thought I'd share. These individual little cakes are amazing and ready to eat in one minute! They are perfect for whenever you feel like a treat without all the fat and calories that cake can have. Genius idea! INGREDIENTS: 1 box Angel Food Cake Mix 1 box Cake Mix - Any Flavor Makes 1 serving. (Keep reading) DIRECTIONS: In a ziploc bag, combine the two cake mixes together and mix well. For each individual cake serving, take out 3 Tablespoons of the cake mix combination and mix it with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small microwave-safe container. Microwave on high for 1 minute, and you have your own instant individual little cake! KEEP remaining cake mixture stored in the ziploc bag and use whenever you feel like a treat! You can top each cake with a dollop of fat free whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit, or ice cream sauce, or.... Helpful Tips: This recipe is called 3, 2, 1 Cake because all you need to remember is "3 tablespoons mix, 2 tablespoons water, 1 minute in the microwave!" TRY various flavors of cake mix like carrot, brownie mix, pineapple, lemon, orange, etc. Just remember that one of the mixes has to be the angel food mix; the other is your choice. The flavor possibilities are endless! NOTES: The best thing is, you open both cake mixes into a gallon storage bag, one that 'zip locks' or 'self-seals', or a container that seals tightly, shake the two cake mixes to blend and then make the recipe. Storage of mix is simple, put it on a shelf. No need to refrigerate, since the mix is dry. Always remember, that one of the cake mixes MUST be Angel Food. The other can be any flavor. The Angel Food is the cake mix that has the eggs whites in it. 3 stars 1 reviews