3 and 4 inch deep pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebecca

Assistant Cook
Dear fellow bakers,

As recommended by some of you, I purchased Rose's Cake Bible and have now studied it thoroughly looking for the perfect recipe for a 3-tier wedding cake which I am making for a friend's wedding in a few weeks time.

I was hoping to start purchasing ingredients for the trial run this evening but I have realised that alas!, my cake tins (which I purchased before reading Rose's book when I was intending to use a non-Rose cake recipe) are 3 inches deep (the 9 and 6 inch ones) and 4 inches deep (the 12 inch one). I have one of each size and was intending to do a deep cake for each tier and then cut each cake horizontally to make 2 layers out of each cake. I have now realised that all of Rose's cake recipes require shallower pans and the 2 layers for each tier are baked seperately.

There are 2 problems with this for me:

1. I live in the UK and large shallow pans don't seem to be available here and
  2. I won't be able to fit 6 pans (2 for each tier) in my oven at once and don't have time to bake them in 2 batches.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a recipe that could be used for a 3-tier cake (to serve about 100 people, but doesn't matter if the pieces are tiny) using one 6-inch round pan (3 inches deep), one 9-inch pan (3 inches deep) and one 12-inch pan (4 inches deep).

It doesn't really matter what kind of cake... preferably some sort of sponge/butter, i.e. not fruit cake and not chocolate cake. Perhaps with chocolate chips...?

I'm hoping to put a layer of raspberry conserve in the layers (maybe fresh raspberries too) and use white chocolate mousseline for frosting and then white fondant.

Oh and one other thing, I forgot to mention, I have to bring the cake by aeroplane to Ireland where the wedding will be held. I'm planning to transport the cake once each tier has been fondant covered but before stacking them, and to carry each tier inside a sturdy box wrapped in clingfilm.

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated!

I need to get my trial run started this weekend at the latest really.

Thank you very much!

Rebecca
:chef:

Back
Top Bottom