7 Up Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I need to try this one. It sounds great!

7 Up Cake
Yield: 16 – 20 Servings

1 ½ c (3 sticks) butter or margarine, room temperature
3 c sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
3 c cake flour
2 T pure lemon extract
¾ c 7-Up, room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place the rack in the lower third of the oven. Grease and flour a 10" Bundt pan. Cream the butter in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed for 30 seconds. With the mixer running at medium speed, slowly add the sugar and continue creaming for 3 – 4 minutes longer. Again at medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, creaming after each addition. Continue creaming for another 2 minutes. Using rubber spatula (not an electric mixer), fold the flour in gradually, about a third at a time,
mixing gently but thoroughly. Fold in the lemon extract and 7-Up a third at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for 1 ¼ hours (75 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake begins to withdraw from the sides of the pan. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool thoroughly on a wire rack before slicing. Slice with a serrated knife.

Be sure to try this Allen. It's a very popular cake around these parts for cake walks, bake sales and the like. Very sweet but tasty!

That's wild Allen, I've heard of cola cakes, Dr Pepper cakes and root beer cakes but this is the first 7-Up cake I've encountered! Very cool!!! :mrgreen:

Connie, did your grandma have a recipe for one of those midwestern Jello salads using 7-Up too? I remember eating that a lot when I lived in Illinois, but don't recall how it's made.

Mudbug, use 3/4 as much soda as the recipe calls for water. Bring to about 160°F (use a thermometer). Proceed as directed.

I used to make Jell-O with soda all the time. Very tasty!

Allen, you mean pop. Even though you are originally from OK, you have to use the right lingo now that you are in the Midwest! :)

thanks for the tip! texasgirl pointed me to a recipe that seems to be what I remember. Had cottage cheese in it too.

mudbug said:
Allen, you mean pop. Even though you are originally from OK, you have to use the right lingo now that you are in the Midwest! :)

ROFL! I grew up calling it "Pop", but it seems like around here, it's "soda". Oh well, to each their own.

AllenMI said:
I need to try this one. It sounds great!

7 Up Cake
Yield: 16 – 20 Servings

1 ½ c (3 sticks) butter or margarine, room temperature
3 c sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
3 c cake flour
2 T pure lemon extract
¾ c 7-Up, room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place the rack in the lower third of the oven. Grease and flour a 10" Bundt pan. Cream the butter in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed for 30 seconds. With the mixer running at medium speed, slowly add the sugar and continue creaming for 3 – 4 minutes longer. Again at medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, creaming after each addition. Continue creaming for another 2 minutes. Using rubber spatula (not an electric mixer), fold the flour in gradually, about a third at a time,
mixing gently but thoroughly. Fold in the lemon extract and 7-Up a third at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for 1 ¼ hours (75 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake begins to withdraw from the sides of the pan. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool thoroughly on a wire rack before slicing. Slice with a serrated knife.

Try it! I'm surprised you haven't already.:ermm:

It is ohhh soooo goooood!!!! I pretty much use the same recipe, and I just made one yesterday for a Sunday desert. :)

My mother used to practically hound me to death to make one for her! She loved it to death once she found out about it and tried it.

Everyone I tell about it wants to try it!:chef:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Yeah I am just getting used to the idea of people calling soda, pop around here. So what kind of recipes do you make with jello and Pop (soda)? I love both so I can't imagine a better combo.

I bought an antique recipe box off of eBay not long ago that has a variation of this recipe in it. The box has recipes, both handwritten and clipped, from as far back as the '20s. :mrgreen:

I've only known one recipe - the one I use that was given to me in the early
'80s and it has worked every time!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Thats a southern recipe, right? I saw a seven-up cake on Ultimate Wedding Cakes. Personally, I'd rather have a Root Beer cake. Not that I've ever had any soda cake.

Back
Top Bottom