"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

You can use the coupler on ziplock bags too...cheap disposable bags that seal.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
you sure can, Princess! The kit I was mentioning comes with 8 bags, but ziplocs do the trick. And for cupcakes you don't need many more tips that what you get in it, at least to start.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Thanks so much, LP! I really appreciate all the help. I am positive now I was using waaaaaaaaay to much milk. I made another batch today with only 2 tsp of milk and a tsp of vanilla. No other liquid and it turned out PERFECT!! Now if I could just get piping the frosting on down. lol I tried to do the two tier bubble kind of look and the single tier bubble look. Yeah, I failed miserably. But in my defense I was just testing it out with a ziploc baggie that I snipped the end off of. I am definitely going to check out the kit you posted about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Aww, Kayla, you are making me blush. But you know I live for helping people with cake!

Tschaff, if you are starting out with cupcakes, this is the set you should get first: Wilton 12pce cupcake set. You can get it online at their site (in the link), at Michael's stores, other site on the web who sell decorating supplies, or any store in your area that carries Wilton. I buy all different brands but this kit from Wilton will be great for you. It has 8 piping bags, 3 tips and a filler tip which allows you so put a filling into the cupcake. I do have some cloth bags for big jobs, but for regular piping, I use disposable plastic.

One thing I would suggest getting is a coupler. This holds the tip into the bag and also allows you to change tips using the same colour!

I will PM you some other items and feel free to ask any questions....here or in a PM. Writing it here is a good thing because I am not the only one with decorating expertise and also it helps others.

I hope you will post pictures when you are done!

Thanks for the tips! I don't know how I ever lived eating cake using store bought frosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Consider the humidity as well as the temp. in your home when making the frosting.

I have to agree that I will never (at least not very often....except in a major pinch ) buy canned frosting, either! I made my own birthday cake using my first ever buttercream and it was so good. I'm making it again for a cake for Easter.
Glad to know my ziploc bag method wasn't completely off base. I just need to buy tips to go on it. Not using the tip was a fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
you sure can, Princess! The kit I was mentioning comes with 8 bags, but ziplocs do the trick. And for cupcakes you don't need many more tips that what you get in it, at least to start.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I am probably to late with the response and I have never tried this icing as I am a novice just starting out but I found this recipe awhile back and it has great reviews.

Sugar Cookie Icing Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
LP, cade is coming tomorrow to backeand then frost cookies.I need and idea for a firm solid frost ing recipe for him to use. Will be adding food color for pasrel colors. HELP us.
kades
Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschaff04 View Post
I am probably to late with the response and I have never tried this icing as I am a novice just starting out but I found this recipe awhile back and it has great reviews.

Sugar Cookie Icing Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Thank you for being so kind, I copied the recipe and plan to get it made tomorrow.
kadesma
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I often have the same problem when icing cup cakes so am definately going to try this recipe!!! Also hope I will be able to access the Wilton cup cake set here in South Africa.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I think I'll be trying a similar icing recipe on my cupcakes next time too!
Last time, I used too much rosewater and it split - tasted quite fine, but didn't look all that great.
I tend to use just butter and icing, and whatever flavouring, so it will be interesting to add a little milk too.

Icon by lookslikerain
at LiveJournal

Searching for Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icing