A question for our bakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also agree with using vanilla as an accent in almost all recipes. I find I especially like it in moist cakes, but in drier, crumb cakes I prefer almond extract. I used to make a really moist, zesty lemon bundt cake. I left the vanilla out only one time and was so disappointed in the taste that I almost threw the cake a way...relax, though, it was only a moment of desperation! I enjoyed the cake anyway. Maybe it is a bit like peanut butter and chocolate...they just seem to go together...or hot dogs and jelly....

Where do you get your powdered vanilla? I looked at some about 15 years ago and the people selling it said that the flavor breaks down a bit at high temperature, and thus that product was recommended more for drinks, ice creams, etc.

I also agree with using vanilla as an accent in almost all recipes. I find I especially like it in moist cakes, but in drier, crumb cakes I prefer almond extract. I used to make a really moist, zesty lemon bundt cake. I left the vanilla out only one time and was so disappointed in the taste that I almost threw the cake a way...relax, though, it was only a moment of desperation! I enjoyed the cake anyway. Maybe it is a bit like peanut butter and chocolate...they just seem to go together...or hot dogs and jelly....

Where do you get your powdered vanilla? I looked at some about 15 years ago and the people selling it said that the flavor breaks down a bit at high temperature, and thus that product was recommended more for drinks, ice creams, etc.

From a The Great American Spice Company. I bought the 16 ounce. It comes in a bag and I emptied it into a jar so that it would be easier to use. I like that it doesn't darken white frosting. :angel:

Vanilla Powder, Vanilla

Back
Top Bottom