Acorns on a Kwanzaa cake!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Constance

Master Chef
Today, I saw Sandra Leigh making a Kwanzaa cake, and she garnished it with whole ACORNS on the top and around the sides. Then she took a bite, including the acorns, and acted like it was good.
I knew squirrels eat acorns (squirrels eat anything, like rats), but I always thought they made people sick.
I did a little research, and found that ancient peoples ate them in time of need, after an extensive leaching process. They were made into soup or ground for flour to make bread.

So, have any of you all eaten, or heard of someone else eating acorns?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, that Kwanzaa cake she made is appalling (and offensive to many).

But she garnished it with corn nuts which she mistakenly called "acorns."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read that in Canada some First Nations people used acrons as a food source, but as you mentioned Constance, they had to be prepared before human consumption. I Googled and found this page about harvesting and eating acorns.

I'd try them just to say that I had, but I am skeptical as to whether or not I'd become an acorn lover! :LOL:

i have eaten acorns during survival training. they were roasted over a fire, but still were really bitter, and nasty. and yes, full of worms. i've heard hikers complain after eating them of getting terrible flatulence as well.

She does call corn nuts "acorns" on the show. But, having eaten acorns as a kid, I know that they are not edible.:sick: Not even as good as paste! :LOL:

She tops her cake with corn nuts, pumpkin seeds and popcorn.

I seem to recall being told that many of the 'coffees' sold in Europe during the second world war were adulterated with chicory and acorns. :ermm:

Home chef said:
Too bad. I kinda like her:wub:

My 16 year old grandson says she's "hot". She is very pretty.

I've gotten some good tips from her. I do get tired of hearing her say "cute". She needs to find some new adjectives.

By the way, I spelled her name wrong. It's Sandra Lee. Sorry.

I'm locking this thread folks. I think this discussion has ended. If anyone feels they still need to be heard please feel free to PM the Administrators. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom