adding food dye to cake mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hannah7

Assistant Cook
when do i add the red food colouring to the vanilla cake mix, how much and also does this actually work it wont taste bad will it?

food dye

im not good in the cooking department. its just a vanilla cake mix

Follow these directions:

Quick Red Velvet Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup oil
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons cocoa
5 eggs
2 ounces red food coloring, see note

Combine cake mix with oil, buttermilk, cocoa, eggs and food coloring and mix well (we beat for 2 minutes). Bake according to package directions. Frost cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Just read the directions to the cake recipe I posted and follow that exactly. Let us know how it turns out, ok?

I can feel your frustration, kitchenelf!

Hannah - add the food coloring after you first combine the wet and dry ingredients before you mix it too much - or add the food coloring to the wet ingredients before you combine it with the dry. Either way will work.

As for how much to add .... that's up to you. It depends on how red you want it. Watch as you add the food coloring and you'll get an idea of how dark red the cake will be. A red velvet cake uses a LOT of red food coloring (about 1 1/2 oz) - but it also has a coupole of ounces of cocoa powder which also halps make it even a darker red.

I posted how much and when in the recipe - just follow that exactly.

Here - I'll post it again.

Follow these directions:

Quick Red Velvet Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup oil
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons cocoa
5 eggs
2 ounces red food coloring, see note

Combine cake mix with oil, buttermilk, cocoa, eggs and food coloring and mix well (we beat for 2 minutes). Bake according to package directions. Frost cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Wasabi - if you use the purple glitter glue that would work (TO ANYONE WHO IS EVEN THINKING OF DOING THIS - DO NOT EVEN TRY IT

Oh no Elf, if I use purple glitter,my teeth will sparkle when I smile.

Back
Top Bottom