Advice on meringues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
I made some meringues about a week ago and stored them in an airtight tin but they have still gone a bit soft. My question is, does anyone know if and how I can 'refresh' them.? I wondered if they would crisp up again ( even a little ) if I put them in a warm oven for a few minutes. Any ideas please. Always the way, these were really nice ones when I made them and it seems a shame not to use them.;)

I have no idea but u would think so ?? Try I'd love to know the results

I am going to make a couple of assumptions:
First: you baked them before storing
Second: you did not include a small bowl of baking soda in the container. This will absorb the moisture, which is the reason your meringues are soft.
Alas, I don't know if your meringues can be refreshed in the oven, but you could certainly try. Let us know how they turn out.

Right on both counts Hoot. A good tip about the baking soda as well. Thank you. I don't usually keep them so long. It was just me using up extra eggs due to my 2 hens ( Fleur and Fifi) working overtime last week!

refreshing merengues...........Revisited

As promised I am reporting back.
I experimented on a night when there was just me and and Tony home. After I had cooked our meal and had turned off the oven I then put a couple of the merengues onto a metal baking tray and left them in the 'cooling' oven while we ate. It DOES work!! They crisped up just fine and should one be caught out as I was, it is a tip worth remembering. I am not saying I would make a habit of it but I really don't think anyone would have known the difference ( apart from you all who I shared this with ;)) I would only add before signing off to say watch them like a hawk as the were crisp after only a couple of minutes or so.
Thanks for all your support :)

I made the same mistake a while back and just took the lid off the container. Within about 15 minutes they were crispy again :) I'll keep the oven trick in mind though. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom