"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to jcheste2 Send a message via Yahoo to jcheste2
Post Almond Lavender Pound Cake

This cake has a very unique flavor, but is very delicious.

I won third place in a cook off with this recipe

Ingredientsà
· 2 cups sugar, divided
· ½ cup slivered almonds
· 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers, divided
· 1 cup butter, softened
· 4 eggs
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 1 cup sour cream
· ¼ cup half and half cream
· 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
· ½ teaspoon baking soda
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 4 teaspoons boiling water
· ¾ cup confectioners sugar
· Additional dried lavender flowers, optional

Methodà Grease a 10 in. fluted tube pan and sprinkle with sugar; set aside. Place ½ cup sugar, the almonds, and 1 tablespoon lavender in food processor; cover and process until finely ground.
In large mixing bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy; beat in almond mixture until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
In a small bowl, combine sour cream and half and half. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream mixture, beating well after each addition.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for ten minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
For drizzle, in a small bowl, combine water and remaining lavender. Cover and steep for five minutes. Strain, discarding lavender. In another small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and enough infused water to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over cake. Garnish with additional lavender if desired.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Head Chef

Welcome to DC. Lavendar is very strong but has become popular again in cooking and baking.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Welcome to DC, jcheste2.

I'll be making that cake this summer for sure. I grow lavender, and I love making things with the flowers.

Susan, I make a Lavender Caramel Ice Cream with dried flowers, and the flavor is very delicate. I know when you're standing in a field of the stuff the scent can be overpowering, but as a flavor, it's pretty light.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Head Chef

I have actually baked with it ChefJune and it was too perfumey for me. However, I am absolutely thrilled that another Ohioan and and a cookoff placer joined us!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
hmmm I have never baked with the flowers, just used them in the Ice Cream. I use the greens just like I would rosemary, however. It adds a very nice scent to roast chicken.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Head Chef

^I bought the dried flowers and steeped them in cream as per the recipe and it was very perfumey. I feel silly telling you this but there are recipes from Provence that use lavender and honey in desserts. I think that is probably what jcheste2 was riffing on which is what I think is so awesome!

Instead, I like to put the flowers in cheesecloth and hang them from my tub faucet as I fill the tub with hot water. Very relaxing--but again, a little goes a long way.
:-)
Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to jcheste2 Send a message via Yahoo to jcheste2
When I made the cake I also used the dried flowers that come in a spice jar just like any other... There was no smell in the flowers or the cake... but the recipe calls for you to sprinkle some loose ones on top when your done for garnish... may I suggest go easy on this because when you get one of these in your mouth, it is very strong.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I've never cooked with lavender before, will have to giev this a try!
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Thank you! I'll have to try this as well, as I have a lavender plant as well. And thanks to ChefJune for the tip about lavender leaves with rosemary for roast chicken. I'll have to give that a try.

Tags
None