Alternatives to using fondant ribbon cutter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, I am just starting to play around with using Wilton's premade fondant and am trying to find ways to cut uniform pieces of ribbon w/o buying a special too for it.

Currently, I use my pastry wheel, since it has nice ribbed edges on it, and take a clean tape measure and just lay it on top of the fondant and try to cut w/o moving the tape measure. Does anyone else have any ideas? I am hoping to use just regular every day stuff I can find around the house.

Thanks!

htc said:
Hi, I am just starting to play around with using Wilton's premade fondant and am trying to find ways to cut uniform pieces of ribbon w/o buying a special too for it.

Currently, I use my pastry wheel, since it has nice ribbed edges on it, and take a clean tape measure and just lay it on top of the fondant and try to cut w/o moving the tape measure. Does anyone else have any ideas? I am hoping to use just regular every day stuff I can find around the house.

Thanks!

I say use it.

Pizza cutter and pastry wheel are the first that come to mind. For smaller cuts you could use your paring knife. I'm also wondering, and I've never tried it so I can't say if it would just be a big mess or not, but what about all of the scissors they make for crafts and scrapbooking with the cool edges and patterns to them?

It's not the cutting part that I am having touble with. It' s the making the ribbon look uniform w/o some sort of "template" or guard. This is why I use a retractable measuring tape, because it's the prefect width.

When I try to cut ribbon be it w/ a pastry cutter, knife or pizza cutter, I run into the problem of the ribbon looks good then part way through gets too thick or thin.

Get a long plastic or stainless steel rule - they make them in 18" and 24" sizes - at Staples or Office Depot. ALso get some plain dental floss. Lay out your ruler, and 'snap' a line into the fondant with the dental floss for one side, then measure how wide you want your ribbon, and do the same for the other side. Then use your pastry wheel or pizza cutter to make the cuts.

This is a wonderful pastry site - all sorts of fun tools and gadgets - maybe you can find something there -

www.beryls.com

Ohhh, thanks Marm! I knew someone could come up with another way. This is why I love you guys!:)

Back
Top Bottom