Alton Brown's Tres Leche cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
Here it is:
Recipes : Tres Leche Cake : Food Network

I thought the topping was a bit too sweet, but otherwise it's incredibly good. (definitely good eats!) I generally like cakes that are so moist they're almost mush, and this one soaks all day in a mixture of sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and half & half (hence "tres leche"). When I made it I was a bit worried that my batter wasn't quite as 'ribbony' as Alton's was on Good Eats, but it seemed to work out ok. Has anyone tried this, & how did it work out?

Last edited:
Here it is:
Recipes : Tres Leche Cake : Food Network

I thought the topping was a bit too sweet, but otherwise it's incredibly good. (definitely good eats!) I generally like cakes that are so moist they're almost mush, and this one soaks all day in a mixture of sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and half & half (hence "tres leche"). When I made it I was a bit worried that my batter wasn't quite as 'ribbony' as Alton's was on Good Eats, but it seemed to work out ok. Has anyone tried this, & how did it work out?
:) Looked at the recipe for the topping has way to much sugar next time try one TBL of powered sugar if you want more add a little more. I say powdered sugar because the corn starch in it will help stabilize the cream a little better. I also believe a good whipped cream is just slighty sweet so you can appreciate the cream instead of tasting all sugar.

thx for the tip... I ate too much & now I'm defintely feeling it. I thought it would be plenty sweet with a can of condensed milk in the soaking mix but I also thought I should do exactly what it says & then see what needs tweaking. I guess I found something :chef:

This is almost exactly the recipe I've used for years, and I agree about the sugar in the topping. I always cut it back. Then....I move to Mexico and found out that the Tres Leches cake here is very different. It's made just like a two-layer cake, with filling (usually jam/preserves) and then frosted with the whipped cream. Usually decorated like a regular cake. I don't know quite how they do it. You'd think the layers would fall apart when they stack them. It's mighty good, though. Dina - are you reading this? Has this been your experience, too?

Back
Top Bottom