Angel food cake "tricks" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, don't mean to hijack but what do you mean an angel food cake pan has two pieces? My two pans are admittedly really really old, but only one piece each. Can you explain the two piece thingy?

Alix - you won't believe me if I tell you I can...but I can! :LOL:

The middle tube and the bottom are one piece. They sit inside the outer walls, so to speak, on a little lip. You just pull the tube up and voila - it is removed away from the sides but still on the tube.

I know...you're in shock! :-p

Sorry, don't mean to hijack but what do you mean an angel food cake pan has two pieces? My two pans are admittedly really really old, but only one piece each. Can you explain the two piece thingy?
Really??? Only one piece. Mine and my mom's and Chef2337's are all two pieces. That's what she meant by "only find the outsides". See in this one, there's a distinct edge on the bottom of the pan.....The flat bottom and round cone are separate from the outside ring. It makes removing the cake a lot easier.

Really??? Only one piece. Mine and my mom's and Chef2337's are all two pieces. That's what she meant by "only find the outsides". See in this one, there's a distinct edge on the bottom of the pan.....The flat bottom and round cone are separate from the outside ring. It makes removing the cake a lot easier.

Beat ya! :LOL:

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: OK, Alix - this you WILL expect of me.............

Callisto.........OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - so THAT'S what those are for!!!!! :blush: Oh my...:LOL: mine has those....:rolleyes:

LMAO!!! Kitchenelf...step AWAY from the baking stuff...slooowly...sheesh! Near disaster that!

OK, thanks for the explanations folks. My angel food cake pans are really old. They are about 50+ actually so I guess they didn't have the two piecers at that point.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: What did you think they were for?

OMG ~ thank goodness I'm alone. I literally laughed out loud on that one.

I never thought about it long enough to ask that question - I've had that pan forever and those "things" were just there.

Now, you two can leave me alone! :ermm:

okay... what do you call a angel food cake recipe baked kin a loaf or 9 by 13 or muffin tin, then ? i doubt i'll make a bundt just for a low fat snack for myself !

okay... what do you call a angel food cake recipe baked kin a loaf or 9 by 13 or muffin tin, then ? i doubt i'll make a bundt just for a low fat snack for myself !
Angel food cake isn't a bundt. My SIL did hers in a bundt pan because she couldn't find her cone. I think you are thinking of pound cake which is a loaf cake. A bundt cake is traditionally a heavy cake where as angel food cake is extremely fluffy and light and needs the special pan to be done correctly.

Bundt ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundt_cake also known as "coffee cake" or "sponge cake"
Angel Food ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_food_cake also know as "foam cake"
Pound cake ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_cake also know as a "butter cake"

Angel food cake isn't a bundt. My SIL did hers in a bundt pan because she couldn't find her cone. I think you are thinking of pound cake which is a loaf cake. A bundt cake is traditionally a heavy cake where as angel food cake is extremely fluffy and light and needs the special pan to be done correctly.

Bundt ~ Bundt cake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia also known as "coffee cake" or "sponge cake"
Angel Food ~ Angel cake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia also know as "foam cake"
Pound cake ~ Pound cake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia also know as a "butter cake"

thanks, just thanks;)

My sister bakes her's in loaf pans. she (somehow) hangs them upside down to cool like a traditional cake and has great results.

You could probably set up something on each end of the loaf pan, making sure they were of the same height, and turn the loaf upside down sitting on top of these two things, whatever these two things happened to be. I guess they could be coffee cups, two pots the same height, two anything that could take the heat of the pan or muffin tins.

You could probably set up something on each end of the loaf pan, making sure they were of the same height, and turn the loaf upside down sitting on top of these two things, whatever these two things happened to be. I guess they could be coffee cups, two pots the same height, two anything that could take the heat of the pan or muffin tins.

That makes sense. I was trying to envision her hanging them on bottles the way I do with a traditional cake! :LOL: I know she does this so it's easier to pack into her lunch - still gets the great taste, low calories and a great 3:00 pick me up. I might try it ...

I definitely think that a homemade angelfood cake is worth it. Gale Gand and Maida Heatter are two cookbook authors who have lovely recipes. There are others as well.

The trick is not to overbeat the egg whites and to sift slowly and fold in the flour. Cake flour will give you a much more tender cake. You want to be thorough with the folding without deflating the whites. Often this is done best by using a very oversized bowl--it makes the job easier. By sifting the dry ingredients in, you will help ensure that there is no dry ingredient bubbles in your finished cake.

Further, by making your own you can change the flavor. I love Maida Heatter's chocolate angelfood cake because the cocoa and coffee help to cut the sweetness.

For me the hardest part has always been cutting them out of a pan but with the right knife and a bit of patience even that can be done. You just need to practise.

Can you tell, I love to bake? lol

The mix became Dairy. We don't eat much dairy food. I have to m ake it by hand...but I have a good mixer that I can chill, and I can get Cream of Tarter, no worries there.

I assume that buying a dozen eggs is cheaper than using a mix, anyway.

Anything else?

not the case here in so calif. eggs are sky high, almost $6 here for eighteen. i did just get a good buy , my store has a buy,one get one free offer going right now:cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom