"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
Head Chef

Mamagracie, how are your cakes turning out now?

I have an angelfood cake dilemma (sp?). At the end of June the girl that makes our birthday cakes at work can't make the one for my boss because a)she has to make another cake the day before for another birthday and b)she doesn't have an angelfood cake pan. I volunteered and I don't want to let my boss down. I don't think one cake will be enough servings for the department and for the people with food radar at work. I only have one angelfood cake pan. I haven't decided to go with a mix or homegrown, though I have made homegrown successfully--don't know where I got a working recipe so I will have to find another. Does anyone have suggestions for another pan I can use that will work? I have bundt pans, 8 inch cake pans, 10 inch, 12 inch, cheesecake pan, 9x13 in aluminum, glass and 'like plastic but not' and maybe more. Thank you in advance ~Bliss

PS. If I was going to bring 'something' to spoon over plain cake, like strawberries in sugar, what other 'somethings' should I bring?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #12
Head Chef

No clue on the pan.. but as to having something on the cake.
Strawberries

Warm Carmel

Warm chocolate fudge

blueberries

Old 06-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
Master Chef

you can use fresh fruits or pie filling like cherries or blueberries, or strawberries.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
Head Chef

Mama Gracie- This is a recipe that I've used quite often and have never had a problem with it. As far as the pan I just bought one that said it was for angel food cake. Hope this helps.
Angel Food Cake Deluxe
Old 06-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I see angel food cakes in loaf-form at stores, so i would assume you could use loaf pans at home, too.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Did you grease the sides of the pan? If so, that's the problem. The sides of the pan have to be dry and clean so the rising batter can 'climb' up the sides.
I didn't know this either. Great to know as I have the flat angel cake problem too.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #17
Master Chef

a store bought cake recipe is just as easy........for the flatness.....maybe your baking powder was old......maybe you were being tested........fresh fruit and whipped cream are wonderful.......some cooked peaches or strawberries with a wee hint of orange liqueur and lots of cool whipped cream sound awfully nice
Old 06-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
Head Chef

abj-thanks for the recipe, it looks good.
I have a tin loaf pan that will work, so I'll have enough cake for everyone. Thank you all for the ideas. ~Bliss
Old 07-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #19
Senior Cook

so I made my first angel food cake for the first time..
I was quite nervous.. but it seems to have come out well.. The only thing is that when folding the flour in, it didn't mix very well with the whites? Anyone have a problem with that?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 PM   #20
Head Chef

I love love love angelfood cake!

Another great idea for a summertime treat is to slice your angelfood cake into three layers, put a thick layer of some sherbert ice cream (that you let sit out until soft enough to spread). Add a layer of cake. One more of sherbert and top with the last layer of cake. Freeze. Cut and enjoy. mmmmmmm good stuff!

It's also great torn up into bite-sized bits and mixed with some fresh whipped cream and the sweetest, juiciest berries you can find.

Z

Tags
None