Any ideas for a quick, simple cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheffrankie

Assistant Cook
I was wondering if anyone knew a really quick, simple dessert, preferably a cake i could make for dinner today. Nothing fancy, just something that won't take me long to make but still tastes great. Any ideas?:)

Hope I'm not too late, Frankie! Here are a couple that easy and tasty! Both are TNT.

Emergency Cake
Cake:
1 3/4 cups cake flour, sifted
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup softened butter
2/3 cup lukewarm milk
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla

Broiled Icing:
3 tablespoons melted butter
5 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cake: In a mixer with a whip attachment, mix the dry ingredients together. Add the softened butter, lukewarm milk, beaten egg, and vanilla and mix well for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour into a parchment lined 8 by 8-inch cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes. Broiled Icing: In a mixer with a paddle attachment, mix all the ingredients together. When the cake is done, take it out of the oven and, while it's warm, spread the icing on the cake to cover the top. Place it under the broiler until it bubbles all over and starts to brown. Cool then cut into squares and serve.

Crazy Cake
This really works--it makes a great, moist cake!
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon white vinegar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup cold water

Preheat 350 degrees F.
Place the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make 3 small holes in the mixture. Pour the vanilla in one hole, the vinegar in another and vegetable oil in another. Pour water over the top and mix. Pour into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

You could also make an easy shortcake with strawberries or blueberries (or peaches if they're in season where you are). When I don't have time to do the shortcake from scratch, i just use the recipe on the back (or side, I forget which!) of the Bisquik box.

Good luck!

This is quick and easy, you can use different fruits and nuts.

Dump cake

INGREDIENTS:
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
8 ounces chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter

DIRECTIONS:
In a 9x13 inch pan mix cherries and pineapple. Sprinkle dry cake mix over pineapple, and cherry mixture stir until just combined. Then sprinkle walnuts over top. Drizzle top with melted butter or margarine.
Bake in a 350 degree F (175 degree C) oven for 35 or 40 minutes or until golden brown.

Another easy thing to make is pineapple upside down cake. You can use any white cake recipe.

Put a layer of pineapple in the bottom on your cake pan. Add some melted butter and brown sugar that you've heated together for a few minutes (about 1/2 cup of mixture)
then add the cake batter overtop the whole thing. It's so simple and delicious.

Sara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom