"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 05-19-2002, 03:26 AM   #1
Cook

Apple Crumbcake

1 pkg (about 18 1/2oz) yellow cake mix
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 can (21oz) apple pie filling
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, butter, and 1 egg until crumbly; reserve 1/2 cup. Press remaining crumb mixture into 8-inch square pan.

Blend remaining egg with sour cream; spoon over crumb mixture. Stir apple pie filling with brown sugar and cinnamon; spoon over sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup crumb mixture. Bake 40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned. Cool before serving.

Old 05-19-2002, 04:07 AM   #2
Cook

Just printed this goodie out...I'm also going to try it with cherry pie filling, etc. Thanx.

:D :D :D

Old 05-29-2002, 09:28 AM   #3
Cook

apple crumb pie

Hi

I did the pie with cherry pie filling, omitting the brown sugar and cinnamon and you should see how scrumptious it turned out. My daughter said it tasted like a cheesecake. I am also going to use a blueberry filling as well; Steve's graduation is in a few weeks and I'll take those two over for his party...the cherry and the blueberry.

I am so happy with that recipe. It was the best I ever made. Many, many thanks.:) :) :)
Old 05-29-2002, 09:36 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
my heart thanks you too, my thighs and hips however have this to say :p

JUST KIDDING!! I don't care about my thighs and hips!!!! My tastebuds are my most treasured body parts (body parts? where did I rationalize that one???) LOL I will fix this this week for sure - my son is a sweet nut (he takes after his step-mom that way and then I have to get all her recipes!!!)

Thanks KAT!!! And thanks cookies for the info about the pie!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 02:24 PM   #5
Cook

Apple crumb pie

Hi Kat

I just such rave reviews for the variation I made using cherry pie filling, I am going to make that and your original apple crumb pie recipe for Steve's graduation party. My daughter also suggested that blueberry pie filling would be a nice variation too. This forum is so helpful. I just love it. :D :D :D :D
Old 06-22-2002, 06:46 PM   #6
Cook

Apple crumb pie

I made both the apple and variation with cherry pie filling today for Steve's graduation party tomorrow. It should go over very well because my daughter says it tastes a lot like cheesecake. I'll probably be ready to drop with all the running around but I am so proud of him. He is graduating from h.s. and as a freshman went to summer course at Yale, next year Princeton and last year Georgetown. Now in the fall he will be going to Long Island to college and taking political science.

:D :D :D Thank you soooo much for the lovely recipe.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:08 PM   #7
Cook

cookie you are welcome

iam so glad you liked the recipe. and you are a proud mom. your
son is very lucky to have mom like you.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:12 PM   #8
Cook

Apple crumb pie

Hi there

I made both the apple and cherry versions and boy did they go over big. Steve is my grandson and I thank you for the wonderful compliment. It was so hot at the graduation I thought I'd fall over and the poor kids were in those mortar boards and gowns. A few threw beachballs and had them taken away from them. I thought..oh, let them have a good time...it's a big deal for kids to graduate. One girl got up and ran to the front and picked up the confiscated beachball and everyone in the entire place got up and cheered! Next, year the younger one graduates and he is a little dickens so I'll bet there is cap throwing at that one!

Hugs,
Eileen
Old 10-16-2005, 01:25 AM   #9
Head Chef

I have made this with tinned peaches as well and its very nice.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Thank you

I will have to make it! It sounds delicious, my family and I will enjoy this. Thank you.

Tags
None