"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Really do not have an answer....

how is DW's vision? She did not by any chance use whole wheat flour?

really unique problem UB!

Old 03-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Baker...

I checked the dates on everything. All were well within expiration.
Milk was the closest at 5 days.

Miss Mish...

First I am not the baker in the family. I don't do "fomulars" that well.
I can follow a "recipe" which is more forgiving but baking is not one of my forte's.
The reicipe calls for "creaming" the shortning and sugar, adding the yolks, flour, soda, salt, sour cream, and vanilla. Lastly folding in 6 egg whites.
I did not watch DW make the cake so I don't know exactly what she did.
The orginal recipe she has calls for 1 hour 15 min. But based on past experiences she has increased it to 1 hour 30 miiutes and has been doing this for years. The oven has a thermometer inside and is true to the setting on the oven dial. + or - 5 degrees depending on where inside the oven it is placed. It is a Viking gas stove/oven. Its taste and texture was uneffected.
It is not a "white" cake by any means, but this time a amber, light carmel color.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
Really do not have an answer....

how is DW's vision? She did not by any chance use whole wheat flour?

really unique problem UB!

Her vision is....well she thinks I am very handsome

There is no wheat flour in the cabinet.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I can't give you a specific answer. But, given your DW has made this cake countless time and this recipe preparation did not vary for earlier ones,
I would have to deduce there was a problem with one of the ingredients. Don't ask me which ingredient or what was wrong with it, I don't know.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, Thanks to all of you for responding. I suppose it will remain a mystery.
As this was not an earth shaking nor life changing event.... my mother used to say, "I've had worse luck and made it just fine" So, Miss Candocook I can assure you that I will "carry on" without missing a bite!

Again, thanks everyone so much for your time and response.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #16
Head Chef

I have found many extracts (brand names, store brands, off brands) are inconsistent in potion measurements and volumes. I would estimate over a two year span. It was probably the vanilla.

Dark egg yolks would not have mixed freely and she would have noticed and the whites would probably have been cloudy and dense. Eggs can partially freeze in the refrigerator and thaw and we never knew it happened.

The Million Dollar Pound Cake takes 1 1/2 hrs and sometimes longer to bake so I can understand the baking time.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Hi there: I have one solution, if no one else has metioned it......bake another cake, see how that looks!...LOL
Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Stirblue...

You may have found the needle in the haystack. I did notice on Saturday morning as I was about to enjoy my weekly ration of eggs, that one of them appeared to be slightly frozen. With grits, contry ham, biscuits, and redeye gravy awaiting me I did not check up! I cooked it along with the other one. It tasted fine. I think I shall tell DW that it was the eggs and suggest as ell/TO did...Just bake another one!!

Again, thanks to each of you!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #19
Everymom

Uncle Bob, no one has yet asked if the sugar possibly lumped up a bit in the mixing. If there were lumps of sugar (humidity?) it might have caused a discoloration when it baked. Was the caramel colour uniform? or was it streaky? I wasn't clear on that.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:45 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Uncle Bob, no one has yet asked if the sugar possibly lumped up a bit in the mixing. If there were lumps of sugar (humidity?) it might have caused a discoloration when it baked. Was the caramel colour uniform? or was it streaky? I wasn't clear on that.
Miss Alix,,

My DW made/baked this cake so, I would assume that the sugar was not an issue. The discoloration was not unifrom, nor was it streaky. It did seem to be darker in places, lighter in others. Over all darker than the cake is normally. This is just a pound cake type cake so you can visualize what it's normal color would have been..

I hope this finds you feeling better. (What you an Miss Mish need is a good ration of Hush puppys and a stiff shot of Bourbone)

Tags
None