Attention All Bakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uncle Bob said:
I hope this finds you feeling better. (What you an Miss Mish need is a good ration of Hush puppys and a stiff shot of Bourbone)

:LOL: Thank you Uncle Bob.

I think Mrs. Uncle Bob snuck some Bourbon in that cake when you weren't looking.

mish said:
:LOL: Thank you Uncle Bob.

I think Mrs. Uncle Bob snuck some Bourbon in that cake when you weren't looking.

Miss Mish...

If the woman "messed" with my bourbon without my permission, I shall file papers on her immediately!!:shock: (I guess ya think that is a hush puppy in the picture0:rolleyes:

Uncle Bob said:
Corey....

DW has made this cake for years...Origin is unknown to me.
Never fails...Just a good all-a-round pound type cake.
Excellent for strawberry short cake etc. Warm, just out of the oven it will just melt in your mouth...As you know I (we) can't eat a lot of this stuff but she enjoys it....

And you're right, it DOES taste good! The recipe that I used calls also for chopped walnuts or pecans and some cinnamom / mutmeg mixture in the middle.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the well wishes Uncle Bob
I hope this finds you feeling better. (What you an Miss Mish need is a good ration of Hush puppys and a stiff shot of Bourbone)
Oh how I wish I could do that...just 4 more days on the drugs. And yes, I am getting better slowly.

Back to the cake thing. You really have me stumped on this one. My thoughts were either 1) mixing in the sugar was not completely done and there was some caramelization or 2) the vanilla coloured the batter in an odd way. Thankfully, it didn't affect the taste. So, since its gone, I guess it doesn't matter why it happened anymore right? LOL!

I have also experienced a similar issue when baking a buttercream white cake. I used a store brand vanilla extract, not my usuall burbon 100% vanilla and I happened to use past expiration date eggs that were slightly frozen from being placed in the back of my fridge (colder toward the back then in the middle or front). My cake was absolutly fine except for the brown streaks in the center (cake was baked in a 9x13 pan and only affected the center pieces). I figured it was the older eggs since I made the cake again and used the same vanilla, which did give it an off white color but no more broen streaks. Hope this gives you and the wifey-poo some insight at to just what may have gone ary. ;)

Uncle Bob said:
The reicipe calls for "creaming" the shortning and sugar, adding the yolks, flour, soda, salt, sour cream, and vanilla. Lastly folding in 6 egg whites.

Uncle Bob, is that the exact order of steps that your wife uses to mix the batter?

When I was in college, they taught us that standard creaming method is to cream the fat with the sugar, then add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.

If you wife added the vanilla right before the egg whites, there's a chance that the vanilla wasn't completely incorporated throughout the batter.

Thanks Allen for the response..DW says the steps were as you described. The egg whites were added last however. However the vanilla was well incorporated before the whites were added...so I dunno. Again thanks for your comments.

Hello Uncle Bob:)

All I can guess, is that the oven might have been too hot, but if she has baked the cake many times before...

Mel

Miss Katie

I am sure the cake will be baked again. It was so strange looking, but tasted fine.....

You Know Mel...That was my first question, but the cake was not "burned" on the outside...maybe a little darker than normal. The inside was moist and tender just this funny color...Oh well...it's just a cake.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Back
Top Bottom