Baby's 1st birthday cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McKenzie

Assistant Cook
Afternoon, all! My little one turns 1 on Halloween, and we'll be having a party for him, naturally...but my parents will also be hosting one for family, and my husband and I will celebrate on his actual birthday. My question - does anyone have a baby-friendly cake recipe? I don't want him having 3 cakes full of white flour and sugar, but I do want him to have something tasty to celebrate with. I've done a bit of Googling, but can't seem to find much that sounds appetizing. Maybe I should just suck it up and let him have the good stuff? In any case, if anyone out there has a somewhat healthy recipe I'd love it if you'd share!

I'd go with let him have the good stuff myself. You only have a birthday once a year. Go for it!

If you decide on NOT doing that you can easily modify many recipes by using applesauce in place of the fat and cutting the amount of sugar in the recipe.

I just posted an Easy Banana cake/loaf/muffin recipe in the Muffin Subsection that is low sugar. You could go search for that and see what you think.

What about a big, home made strawberry shortcake? Children seem to love berries and if you make your own whipped cream without adding sugar and the big biscuit style "cake", it should be much healthier than a traditional cake.

Seems to me that you could make cake with white flour and sugar or you could make the strawberry shortcake with all that butter and whipped cream. Which one is worse?

I'm with Alix on this, let him have cake. It's his first birthday and you will only have one of them. Find something good but not full of too much sugar.

I'd also try baby food websites.
Baby Food Recipes for the Fall, Fall and Autumn Infant and Toddler Recipes for Fall | Baby Smoothies, Pumpkin Pancakes, Pumpkin Toddler Flan and more!

I have 6 grandkids and with each one mommy said NO SWEET stuff..My daughter in law bless her, was adament on this and she was making that first birthday cake come h*!! and high water:) She did, Alyssa is now 14 and the cake? It is still used as a doorstop! fortunatly her other gramma, d-i-l's mom had a back up cake for Alyssa:ROFLMAO: So all the kids have the real thing as Alix and Cora said it's the birthday and you can monotor baby's sugar intake the rest of the time..Believe me there is nothing like watching a year old child dig into their first yummy cake or cupcake..And the look that comes over that cute little face at the first bite.
Brava for being a caring mommy, your baby is very loved and cared for and I bet as happy as can be... Both of you enjoy his special day.

kadesma:)

Make the baby a cake! A real cake!! Sit it on the floor in front of him/her (sans candles) and allow the kid to eat some with their hands. If he/she gets it all over their face and clothes, then all the more better! :LOL:

Have a camera ready to go!!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

Make the baby a cake! A real cake!! Sit it on the floor in front of him/her (sans candles) and allow the kid to eat some with their hands. If he/she gets it all over their face and clothes, then all the more better! :LOL:
Oh yes, Uncle Bob, you have to let the baby have first "grab" at a cake! My youngest on his first birthday had a little virus and wasn't feeling real well. Still, we sat him in his highchair on the back patio and sang and gave him a small cake that was wildly decorated. He looked suspicious for a while but then proceeded to dig in with both hands. After a bit, he held his hands up and looked around saying "See my hands". He looked like he was going to cry maybe so his big brother rushed over and said "It's OK, I'll clean them off". Then Fisher said "No, no, I has happy birthday hands"! It still makes me smile to remember that.

Oh yes, Uncle Bob, you have to let the baby have first "grab" at a cake! My youngest on his first birthday had a little virus and wasn't feeling real well. Still, we sat him in his highchair on the back patio and sang and gave him a small cake that was wildly decorated. He looked suspicious for a while but then proceeded to dig in with both hands. After a bit, he held his hands up and looked around saying "See my hands". He looked like he was going to cry maybe so his big brother rushed over and said "It's OK, I'll clean them off". Then Fisher said "No, no, I has happy birthday hands"! It still makes me smile to remember that.

That's what I'm talking about!! :LOL:

My mother sent me a lamb mold to use for my baby's first cake. It was quite simple to make. You could use Cool Whip instead of frosting if you like. In any event, give it blue gum drops for eyes, a chocolate drop for a nose, and coconut fur. When it's all finished, tie a ribbon around it's neck.

Show it to the baby, and watch the little hands go after it!

McKenzie, your little guy might surprise you and if he hasn't been exposed to a lot of sugary foods up until now, he may not be all that interested in the birthday cake. That's what happened to my dd for her 1st b-day last year. We work really hard to keep refined sugar and flour out of her diet. I found a cake that I considered a healthy compromise for her birthday, and she didn't like the icing, took a couple bites of cake and then asked for more peas. She did me proud (and freaked out my MIL!:ROFLMAO:)!!!

Here's the recipe I used (Her b-day is in Nov. so it was ideal). Rather than using 2 c AP flour, I used 1 c AP and 1 c whole weat. I also eliminated the nuts on top and just put on some fun colorful sprinkles.

If you haven't already, check out a book called Super Baby Foods. It has a couple cake and frosting recipes as well as a recipe for a 1st b-day cake.

Keep up the great work!:)

Back
Top Bottom