"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Baby's 1st birthday cake

Afternoon, all! My little one turns 1 on Halloween, and we'll be having a party for him, naturally...but my parents will also be hosting one for family, and my husband and I will celebrate on his actual birthday. My question - does anyone have a baby-friendly cake recipe? I don't want him having 3 cakes full of white flour and sugar, but I do want him to have something tasty to celebrate with. I've done a bit of Googling, but can't seem to find much that sounds appetizing. Maybe I should just suck it up and let him have the good stuff? In any case, if anyone out there has a somewhat healthy recipe I'd love it if you'd share!

Old 09-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
Everymom

I'd go with let him have the good stuff myself. You only have a birthday once a year. Go for it!

If you decide on NOT doing that you can easily modify many recipes by using applesauce in place of the fat and cutting the amount of sugar in the recipe.

I just posted an Easy Banana cake/loaf/muffin recipe in the Muffin Subsection that is low sugar. You could go search for that and see what you think.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I just got a great CARROT CAKE with CREAM CHEESE FROSTING recipe, and it's from Cooking Light magazine, so you know it's healthy.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Executive Chef

What about a big, home made strawberry shortcake? Children seem to love berries and if you make your own whipped cream without adding sugar and the big biscuit style "cake", it should be much healthier than a traditional cake.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Seems to me that you could make cake with white flour and sugar or you could make the strawberry shortcake with all that butter and whipped cream. Which one is worse?

I'm with Alix on this, let him have cake. It's his first birthday and you will only have one of them. Find something good but not full of too much sugar.

I'd also try baby food websites.
Baby Food Recipes for the Fall, Fall and Autumn Infant and Toddler Recipes for Fall | Baby Smoothies, Pumpkin Pancakes, Pumpkin Toddler Flan and more!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I have 6 grandkids and with each one mommy said NO SWEET stuff..My daughter in law bless her, was adament on this and she was making that first birthday cake come h*!! and high water She did, Alyssa is now 14 and the cake? It is still used as a doorstop! fortunatly her other gramma, d-i-l's mom had a back up cake for Alyssa So all the kids have the real thing as Alix and Cora said it's the birthday and you can monotor baby's sugar intake the rest of the time..Believe me there is nothing like watching a year old child dig into their first yummy cake or cupcake..And the look that comes over that cute little face at the first bite.
Brava for being a caring mommy, your baby is very loved and cared for and I bet as happy as can be... Both of you enjoy his special day.

kadesma
Old 09-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Make the baby a cake! A real cake!! Sit it on the floor in front of him/her (sans candles) and allow the kid to eat some with their hands. If he/she gets it all over their face and clothes, then all the more better!

Have a camera ready to go!!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Make the baby a cake! A real cake!! Sit it on the floor in front of him/her (sans candles) and allow the kid to eat some with their hands. If he/she gets it all over their face and clothes, then all the more better!
Oh yes, Uncle Bob, you have to let the baby have first "grab" at a cake! My youngest on his first birthday had a little virus and wasn't feeling real well. Still, we sat him in his highchair on the back patio and sang and gave him a small cake that was wildly decorated. He looked suspicious for a while but then proceeded to dig in with both hands. After a bit, he held his hands up and looked around saying "See my hands". He looked like he was going to cry maybe so his big brother rushed over and said "It's OK, I'll clean them off". Then Fisher said "No, no, I has happy birthday hands"! It still makes me smile to remember that.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Oh yes, Uncle Bob, you have to let the baby have first "grab" at a cake! My youngest on his first birthday had a little virus and wasn't feeling real well. Still, we sat him in his highchair on the back patio and sang and gave him a small cake that was wildly decorated. He looked suspicious for a while but then proceeded to dig in with both hands. After a bit, he held his hands up and looked around saying "See my hands". He looked like he was going to cry maybe so his big brother rushed over and said "It's OK, I'll clean them off". Then Fisher said "No, no, I has happy birthday hands"! It still makes me smile to remember that.
That's what I'm talking about!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I wouldn't worry about the cake, he will get more on himself than in his tummy. Precious moments - enjoy !

Tags
None