"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 10-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Bake with your kids

My 4 year old was in the mood to bake today and he decorated these funny faces. He used raisins for the eyes, Mike&Ike candy for the noses and Yogo's rollups for the hair and lips. He had a bit of a math and science lesson measuring all the ingredients and blending. Have you baked with your kids lately? Want to share some stories and pics on here?

Old 10-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Master Chef

Those are adorable, Dina! I'm sure you both had a good time making those!

At almost 2, my daughter's still a bit too young to do too much in the kitchen (although she'd argue you!), but she's in charge of adding fruit to the blender for smoothies, topping pizzas with cheese, and sprinkling cinnamon into the pot when I'm making applesauce. She has so much fun doing things like that I know we'll be cooking and baking more as she gets older!

Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
I have no kids (still in college!) but I'm sure cooking is something we'll do together often. My mother used to let me help her bake bread and I had so much fun kneading it:

Apparently I also liked playing dress-up a bit too much. Haha.

I also remember my dad making meatballs and letting my sister and me add the spices. He would tell us to smell it and decide what it needed. Then he showed us how to form the meat into balls and let us watch as he cooked them. He did the same with pancakes, letting us add fruit or chocolate pieces as we pleased then allowing us to oversee the cooking process.

Then there were my grandparents. My grandmother on my mom's side in particular, as well as her sister (my great aunt). They seemed to always be making cookies, which of course I was delighted to help with. I think they've been a big influence in my ever-increasing passion for baking.

As soon as I have kids old enough to enjoy the many wonders of the kitchen, I'll definitely have them cook with me!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
Have you baked with your kids lately?
Good question Miss Dina. I have another..Have you done ANYTHING with your kids lately? Kids spell Love...T-I-M-E

Have Fun with and Enjoy your Kids!

They grow up so fast..........

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Head Chef

When ever we have my stepdaughter, we alway bake or cook something together. She loves doing it.

In June, for her b-day party, I let her bake and decorate her own cake. She was so proud of that!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I don't have any kids (still in highschool) but I just wanted to make a comment...CherryRed, that is one adorable picture!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
Thanks SurvivorGirl!

Oh yeah, I meant to include this in my original post: one of my favorite things to make used to be pumpkin cookies for Halloween. My mom would help me bake sugar cookies, then we'd frost them with orange icing (we just added food coloring to vanilla icing from the store), then we'd put on candy corn for the eyes and brown gel icing to make mouths. They were so cute! I wish I had pictures.

That's something all of you with children should try since it's the right time of year. It was a tradition in my house and I'm sure your kids will love it too!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
So how do you handle the 2 & 4 year old oil / water duo constantly beating each other and grabbing everything on the counter? I love to bake with them but it starts to get angry.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Get them to bake separate dishes? Make a pie, one helps with the filling, the other with the pastry? Reward good behaviour with decorating privilliges? Do it as one-on-one time? Is it that they are annoying each other or that they are competing for your attention? One problem might be lessened with separate tasks, the other problem needs separate time.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
They fight over me, which isn't too flattering! They also have a "grass is greener" problem, they won't trade, it's all or nothing. Mr. 4 gets mommy time when Miss 2 (today!) is napping, but then he gets mad that she woke up to ruin it. In his defense, she is the clingiest mommy's girl you've ever seen. Sitting in a chair alone doesn't happen for me unless she's sleeping.

Tags
None