Bakers help needed !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
I have a sweet tooth right now -- :angel: Question - is there anything I can make with a white cake mix and a can of dark sweet cherry pie filling ?

Not sure how this would turn out, but Paula Dean has a gooey pumpkin recipe. I remember her saying it was a basic recipe and then you put in whatever ingredients (flavors) you would like. You can see variations listed below. She has also done it with a chocolate as well.

Cake:
1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix (use your white cake here)
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin (use the cherry pie here)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.
Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Variations: For a Pineapple Gooey Cake: Instead of the pumpkin, add a drained 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

For a Banana Gooey Cake: Prepare cream cheese filling as directed, beating in 2 ripe bananas instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

For a Peanut Butter Gooey Cake: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the cream cheese filling instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

what about a dump cake? just google "dump cake" to get a recipe but I think its a cake mix, can of cherry pie filling and a can of pineapples and maybe some butter?

here's one:

EASIEST EVER APPLE (CHERRY) CRISP

1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick butter
1 can apple pie (or cherry) filling

Spoon apple or cherry pie filling in 8x10 cake pan.
Sprinkle dry cake mix over top.
Cover completely.
Melt butter in saucepan or microwave.
Spoon over entire top of cake mix.
Spread with butter knife gently.
Bake in a 350 degree oven untill browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Let completely cool.

Can be served with cool whip or vanilla ice cream on top.

Thanks you three, appreciate the fast replies. Think I'll go with the easiest - lol --(Halfbaked) !!

Last edited:
In case you ever run into this quandry again, here is one more:

1 package yellow or white moist cake mix
oil and eggs as called for on cake mix package
1/2 cup water
1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
powdered sugar, sifted

Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using oil or butter and eggs, and reducing the water to 1/2 cup. Spread batter into a greased and floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Spoon cherry pie filling evenly over the batter, then swirl into the batter just enough to give a marbled effect. Bake cake at 350° for 55 to 60 minutes, until cake bounces back when lightly touched. Cool and sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar. Cherry cake serves 12.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom