Bakery type cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jusnikki

Head Chef
What is it that bakeries do to make their cakes so light? Most scratch baked cakes I've had (and made) are usually of a denser texture. I know the type of flour you use can make a difference (I use king authur).... Other factors too. But only once did I get a cake to come out where the texture was somewhat light and tender. But I'm not a cake baker...would like to be.

I've seen where King Authur has a cake enhancer. Anybody tried it? Was there a difference?

Do you use cake flour? That would yield a lighter, more delicate texture. Also, when you cream your sugar and butter, do you cream it until light and fluffy?

Most home cooks use all purpose flour at home. Bakers use cake flour. Cake flour is a lower protein flour that results in a softer, lighter end result. King Arthur (and others) sell both.

Make sure you use a recipe that's written for cake flour. Cake flour requires less liquid than AP flour.

It may be the type of cake you are making. I prefer a "heavy" cake like a country pound cake. If you want a lighter cake look at recipes that have sponge or chiffon in the name.

In many cases bakeries can incorporate more air into the batters because of the types of equipment they use. Air is cheaper than cake batter. Remember the TV chef Michael Chiarello. When a recipe called for water he would always say time to add the profit. Air is almost as cheap as water!

I also use King Arthur flour for many things. But it has a bit higher protein (think gluten) content than others, like Pillsbury & Gold Medal. A flour found only in the south, White Lily, has and even lower protein content, but not as low as cake flour.

Many serious bakers keep a variety of flours on hand and use what's best for the purpose.

Another thing to be careful of is overbeating. Beating develops the gluten and toughens the cake. You want to use a gentle hand when combining the flour with the other ingredients. I almost never use a mixer for this final step, but prefer to fold the flour into the batter by hand.

Another thing to watch is HOW you measure. The 'dip and swipe' method measures out more flour than the 'spoon and level' method. Scooping your measuring cup into the flour bin and then leveling it packs much more flour into the cup than lightly spooning in the flour, then swiping it. Many serious bakers have switched to weighing their flour to eliminate the problems.

What flavor cake are you looking for? Maybe we can give you a recipe for a good, light one.

Last edited:
It's the cake flour and cake enhancer. Between Shrek and I we have done a lot of bakery cakes. You already use KA, order/buy their cake flour! I have to order most of it, very little of it on supermarket shelves around here.

Do you use cake flour? That would yield a lighter, more delicate texture. Also, when you cream your sugar and butter, do you cream it until light and fluffy?

I have used cake flour in the past. I didn't notice much difference though.
I believe it's light and fluffy when I cream the butter and sugar. It appears that way to me...

I believe that was when I got that best results was when I used the cake flour but the next time I used it, the cake was more brownie textured.

King Authur flour I can get here but I'd have to order anthing else. Which I'm not against doing if it means I can bake a good cake, lol.

I've only just started getting more serious about cake baking. I am now trying to figure out where I'm going wrong. I usually go by the recipes pretty set to what it says. I did figure out this weekend that my oven is 15 degrees hotter than what it says. I bought a oven gauge and I guess it's right, lol. Don't know if that would affect the texture of the cake.

But I'm going try the cake flour again. I guess I'd probably need to buy it fresh, huh?? The one I have, Swan (sp?), I think, is over a year old, lol. Oh and I should add I've tried many different kinds. What the recipe generally calls for but my cakes still seem heavy.

I also use King Arthur flour for many things. But it has a bit higher protein (think gluten) content than others, like Pillsbury & Gold Medal. A flour found only in the south, White Lily, has and even lower protein content, but not as low as cake flour.

Many serious bakers keep a variety of flours on hand and use what's best for the purpose.

Another thing to be careful of is overbeating. Beating develops the gluten and toughens the cake. You want to use a gentle hand when combining the flour with the other ingredients. I almost never use a mixer for this final step, but prefer to fold the flour into the batter by hand.

Another thing to watch is HOW you measure. The 'dip and swipe' method measures out more flour than the 'spoon and level' method. Scooping your measuring cup into the flour bin and then leveling it packs much more flour into the cup than lightly spooning in the flour, then swiping it. Many serious bakers have switched to weighing their flour to eliminate the problems.

What flavor cake are you looking for? Maybe we can give you a recipe for a good, light one.

The way I dip my flour could be affecting the texture? I usually just dip it
and swipe it.

That was another thing, beating the cake, how are you suppose to know how long to beat it when all beaters are not alike, lol. I have a couple of beaters and if I set both at medium speed it's not the same. One is faster then the other. So, how can you tell??

I knew there was technique to baking a great cake but that's to many details, lol.

Oh and I'm partial to white and yellow cakes.

Yes. How you measure your flour can make a big difference. I just did a test.

I dipped a scoop of flour straight from the canister, and it weighed 4.5 ounces.
Then I stirred my flour to lighten it, and dipped. It weighed 4.25 ounces.
Then I gently spooned the flour into the scoop, and it weighed 4 ounces.
Then I sifted it first, then spooned it, and it weighed 3.5 ounces.
Those are some big differences. And different recipes are based on different methods.
As for sifting, if the recipe says, "1 cup of sifted flour", you sift first then measure. If it says, "1 cup of flour, sifted", you measure first then sift.

Like you, I live on the Gulf coast, so we have some humidity. It's warm enough here that my windows are open. All of these things make a difference in the measurement of the flour. My test above was done with KA all-purpose flour. If I had used cake flour, it all would have been lighter.

Too much flour is one thing that can make a cake dense, which is why you have to be consistent. The usual method is to stir up your flour to unpack any settling, then spoon it into the measuring cup. Use a knife to level it off.

But the best way is to get a scale and weigh it.

Last edited:
Good post, Silversage.

If you read the nutrition label on the flour bag, it will tell you under serving size something like: Serving size 1/4 cup (30 grams). So you know from this that a cup of flour should weigh 120 grams or 4 1/4 ounces. (28.35 grams to the ounce)

Good post, Silversage.

If you read the nutrition label on the flour bag, it will tell you under serving size something like: Serving size 1/4 cup (30 grams). So you know from this that a cup of flour should weigh 120 grams or 4 1/4 ounces. (28.35 grams to the ounce)

Jeez, why didn't I think of that? That's a great way to do the conversions. I bought an electronic scale and have fun using it. :)

thank you all for your input. I can't wait to bake the next cake. I'm getting a scale before i do. Cakes are a whole lot trickier than pies. I hope to be as good at it as i am with pies...

I usually don't sift unless the recipes call for it. I hadn't stuck to one recipe because i'm still searching for the one that works for me...

I have printed the recipes posted. I'll try those next. thanks much!!

Back
Top Bottom