Baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamana

Assistant Cook
HI
I want to know can powered sugar be used instead of icing sugar in baking:

chef:

Hello,
Icing sugar is the same thing as powdered sugar, and is also called "confectioners' sugar."

It is also known by 10X sugar. Whatever the name it is known by in your part of the world, it makes a great buttercream frosting.

And welcome to DC. This is a fun place to come to. Someone will always have an answer for any questions you may have. :angel:

Last edited:
But, if your recipe is by volume, you will need 1.75 cups of confectioner's sugar to replace one cup of common granulated sugar. (If by weight, substitute directly, gram for gram.)

Hello,
Icing sugar is the same thing as powdered sugar, and is also called "confectioners' sugar."
Not syre about Icing sugar, buit for sure powder sugar and confectioner's sugar are completely different things and are Not interchanchable.

Not syre about Icing sugar, buit for sure powder sugar and confectioner's sugar are completely different things and are Not interchanchable.

I disagree Charlie. All three are just different names for the same product.

Yes, Andy and Merstar are right. They are all names for the same thing - a finely powdered sugar that is quick dissolving and used in icing/frostings, fondant, whipped cream (with vanilla and powdered sugar it is called Chantilly Cream).

It is definitely not interchangeable with granulated sugar, caster sugar or even berry/fine sugar.

Sugar is something I know about! :chef:;):angel:

Never mind, I was thinking about the caster sugar, my bad.

No worries, Charlie. There are so many different kinds of sugar and so many different names for the same thing it is really easy to mix it up. I only know them because they were drilled into us at school. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom