Baking Cakes with Yoghurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andik1962

Assistant Cook
My lovely Wife is an excellent cook, but she has problems with cakes containing yoghurt; they don't rise very well and they are dense.

Does someone have any hints to overcome this ?

Thanks

I can't understand why that would happen. I use yogurt all the time, and have always had great results, ie, light and fluffy cakes. How many recipes has she actually tried with yogurt? Perhaps it's the recipe(s), not the yogurt?

An alternative to yogurt is buttermilk - these two ingredients are basically interchangeable in baked goods, as is sour cream. Maybe she can try the buttermilk and see if she has better results. If you don't have access to buttermilk, you can substitute sour milk, ie, 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice added to a 1 cup measuring cup, then filled with enough milk to make 1 cup sour milk. Let stand about 15 minutes, then stir.

Curious whether she is using the yogurt in place of fat? In that case, it often does result in a denser cake. Which is one reason why it works so well for pound cakes. The yogurt version is almost always lighter than the butter version.

Curious whether she is using the yogurt in place of fat? In that case, it often does result in a denser cake. Which is one reason why it works so well for pound cakes. The yogurt version is almost always lighter than the butter version.

Oh ChefJune (BD falls to knees and begins salaaming)

Please o please, share with us, the unworthy, your fabulous recipe for poundcake made with yogurt.

So that I may smite your enemies with kindness.

Back
Top Bottom