Baking messages in Cup Cakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wufflebunny

Assistant Cook
All,

My boyfriend has a very sweet tooth, and this year I want to send him on a valentines day scavenger hunt using cup cakes. I want to bake 6 cupcakes with messages in them, cake #1-5 leading him to each successive cake, and #5 leading him to his valentines day present.

I was thinking about hiding a little slip of paper in each cake with the instructions to where to find the next one.

My first question is what sort of paper would stand up to being baked for 12 - 15 mins in the oven without the ink running (and what sort of ink I should use so I don't poison him :P)

My second question is that my bf is a real foodie, so I want to make the cakes different flavors, ie have a raspberry one, a dark chocolate chip one, a light chocolate chip one etc. Anyone have some easy cupcake flavor ideas I can add to my base cake recipe?

Great idea!
Perhaps it would be easiest to bake each cupcake first, and then slide a small knife into the top, making something like a "mail slot" for your message. Then, after frosting the top, you'd never know it hadn't been baked in.

What a great idea! I am stumped for ideas for Valentines this year....maybe I'll borrow yours.

I like the idea, but I'd put the paper in after the cake was baked....why risk ruining your gig, hmmm?

Is your boyfriend up for eating 6 cupcakes in a row?

You could print it on parchment paper--the baking kind. It will stand up to the temp fine.

Umm, I don't know about you, but I'd end up eating part of the paper if not all of it... if it were a cupcake. :LOL:

Thanks all for your replies! Parchment paper seems the way to go - I will probably make a test batch this weekend and see how the baking goes, and yes, going shopping for mini cupcake tins tonight ;)

For flavors I am thinking:
Chocolate mud
Orange, pumpkin and sunflower seed
Oreo chip
Raspberry jam swirl
Honey oat with apricot
White chocolate and macadamia

Now I just need to figure out how to get him out of the house the night before/on the day so I have time to bake :)

Your flavors sound great!

I'd wait and slip the messages in after baking. Even if you use parchment that stands up to temps, your ink could run when the batter hits it.

Another vote for inserting the messages after the cupcakes are baked. You might roll the messages up, scroll-like, very tightly and insert them that way. The paper probably would stand up to being inside the cupcake a little better that way and make it easier for your to put into the cupcake.

Oh Heck yes I'm doing this for the next valentines day.

Except I might alternate with savoury muffins, just so I can make him some cornbread... He loves him some cornbread.

Back
Top Bottom