Baking Soda or Powder in my Cheesecake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdcast

Washing Up
I'm curious about baking powder and what the heck is baking soda ?

Baking powder = Any of various powdered mixtures used in baking as a substitute for yeast

Baking soda = A white soluble compound (NaHCO3) used in effervescent drinks and in baking powders and as an antacid

What effects can I expect by adding these two ingredients to my cheesecakes ???
:huh:

Both are leavening agents in baking. The soda is about four times as strong as the powder.

I don't use either in cheesecake, the beating of the cream cheese butter, sugar and eggs provides the lift.

Adding chemical leaveners would cause the cheese cake to rise even more. I'm not sure if the rise would hold or collapse upon cooling.

Are you thinking of adding leaveners because you're having a problem?

It would depend upon what the ingredients of the cheese cake. Baking soda must be combined with some acidic ingredient in order to activate it into creating the bubbles which make the recipe rise. The acid can be buttermilk, cream of tartar, lemon juice, milk or some other acid. Baking soda begins to react or bubble as soon as the liquid ingredients are added.

Baking powder is actually baking soda with an acid (in powdered form) and usually some sort of filler already mixed together. Baking powder can be labeled "Single Acting" or "Double Acting". Single acting baking powder, like baking soda and acidic liquid will begin to react as soon as liquid is added. Double acting baking powder has two reactions. The first occurs when the liquid is added to the recipe and the second reaction starts when the mixture is heated.

Does your recipe for cheese cake have an acidic ingredient already? Baking soda is much more reactive than baking powder and so you do not add as much baking soda as baking powder.

Andy M. said:
Are you thinking of adding leaveners because you're having a problem?

No, actually I'm having a great deal of success but would chance the effect if it meant a lighter product. The notion that it could aggravate the falling phenomenon is something to consider, thanks

Aurora said:
Does your recipe for cheese cake have an acidic ingredient already? Baking soda is much more reactive than baking powder and so you do not add as much baking soda as baking powder.

I use a 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Does baking powder need the acid as well and which tastes better ?

As aurora said, powder provides its own acid, so you don't any from the recipe to help it.

I sure wouldn't add baking powder or soda to a recipe where it isn't called for, with just a few exceptions, this not being one.

Are you not happy with your cheesecake recipe, or just interested in experimenting? I can't imagine any logical reason FOR adding either baking soda or baking powder to cheesecake. :ohmy:

oh, well it's my recipe and I arrived at it by tinkering around and asking questions before formulating my own opinion and finally testing it. I'm adding 1 Tsp of baking soda to the cheesecake I'm mixing right now. I'll post its outcome. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" unless someone can categorically and authoritatively say it will have a negative impact(which no one has so far) then on we go !!!!!!!!
:brows:
Wish me luck

Last edited:
jennyema said:
I don't think I've seen a recipe for cheesecake with a chemical leavener in it. For a reason, I am sure.
I'm getting ready to find out Jenny. Having added the baking soda last, the think I found striking was the instant effervescent behavior of the millions of small bubbles throughout the batter. It was fasinating but concerning as well. As they say, "experience is its best teacher". Once It's all said and done, I well, at least be in the position of giving practical advice on the topic as it relates to the baking of cheesecakes.
:chef:

If you would like to give your cheese cake a little lighter, fluffier feel, mix some corn flour or potato starch with the flour, up to 1/2 - 1/2 proportion. Works on mine.

A chef I knew at a restaurant in suburban Denver fluffed his up fabulously by beating the bejeezus out of it with the wire whisk on the KitchenAid mixer. Best cheesecake I ever ate! :D

urmaniac13 said:
If you would like to give your cheese cake a little lighter, fluffier feel, mix some corn flour or potato starch with the flour, up to 1/2 - 1/2 proportion. Works on mine.

Gosh, thanx urmaniac !!, awesome suggestion. I love trying hopeful, new ideas. I guess you could read between the lines for what I'm trying to achieve. I once saw some kind of white cake or something that had the appearance of lace swiss. The texture was so compelling but unattainable based on my level of expertise.

ChefJune said:
A chef I knew at a restaurant in suburban Denver fluffed his up fabulously by beating the bejeezus out of it with the wire whisk on the KitchenAid mixer. Best cheesecake I ever ate! :D

WOW ChefJune, that just goes against every thing I've read about how much you can whip cheesecake batter. I always feel like I've gone too far because I do pretty much the same thing. I tried mixing with only a wooden spoon once and it came out dense dung. ew

Thank you soooo much for your input. It really sounds like where I'm headed.

I whip mine to death.. but never put Bking soda or powder in your cheesecake its got a bad taste and no reason for it

PLUS the amount you added wouldnt have done anything to it!

Chef_Jen said:
I whip mine to death.. but never put Bking soda or powder in your cheesecake its got a bad taste and no reason for it

PLUS the amount you added wouldnt have done anything to it!

Yes-em, I tried to recall all that you said but I get lazy. The batter tasted real nice so can I expect the flavor to change during baking? Also, the top formed a lovely pattern of bubbles that turned a glorious bronze. It probably will turn out to be a dome atop an airbag.
:mellow:

I know I cracked a joke about your pic making you too popular, but now I miss it Jen. Why did you take it from us ??? :glare:

Back
Top Bottom