Baking with Splenda need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustMeToo

Head Chef
I always make a awesome Jewish Apple cake. Now that my husband has diabeties I decided to make it using Splenda. I followed my direction exactly but substituted the sugar with the splenda. The batter was real thick. Could not even pour it. I still used it and though the cake was edible, it was dry and didn't seem to be as big of a cake like usual. Any suggestions?

Try using some applesauce with the Splenda. It will loosen the dough and still give you the sweetness. Maybe 1/3 applesauce, 2/3 splenda?

The Splenda shouldn't have caused the batter to be too thick...it works just like sugar. Are you sure you didn't make an error in measuring your other ingredients? Personally, I have been known to get my mind on something else and measure wrong or even leave something out.

When use use sugar in a recipe is adds moisture. When

you heat sugar it turns to a liquid and splenda does not. I don't use splenda but people who do use it say there is a problem with dry baked goods.
I am not sure how much extra liquid you need to add (per cup of splenda)but I would hope that Splenda has a website with that information.
I wonder if anyone knows how much liquid is created when you melt 1 cup of sugar to make caramel. I would add approximately that much liquid. Either water or milk, what ever liquid, if any, that your recipe calls for. The suggestion for using applesauce is a good one too.

JustMeToo.....would you be good enuf to send me the recipe for your apple cake....using the sugar....LOL......would appreciate it and thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom