Banana Cake collapsing - can you help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skir

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I'm using this recipe to bake a banana cake:

(cookuk - can't post URLs yet)

After two attempts (while it tates absolutely delicious) the texture of the pastry isn't right.

1) First run was 180C for 45 minutes, it nicely puffed up, then collapsed, probably due to a cold kitchen and rapid cool down.

2) Second run I lowered the temperature to 150C, but then had to lenghten the time to about 55 minutes, with a cooldown in an open over. I've also pricked it with a ford. Again it collapsed, but this time had a crust both top and bottom. A no go.

So I'm getting ready to do a 3rd one - any tips? Our kitchen is _cold_ does it need to be in a reasonably warm place when cooling down? Do I need to drop it out onto a wire rack? Any other tips?

Thanks!

Radski

Hi, radski. Welcome to DC.

I'm not certain what the caue of your problem is. Did you do a toothpick test to be sure it was done?

After several failures, it might be time to try another recipe.

I don't bake very often but the last cake I made was a banana and walnut loaf. Mine were moist but solid. I am not what would be described as a baker but two areas I would be looking at would be your SR flour or the abrupt and large change in temperature. I would retry cooking at 180C for the specified time but when it is just done, leave it in the oven briefly before bringing it out so it has a graduated cool down. Although while I type this, how cold is your kitchen after running an oven for 3/4 hour??

Most recipes for banana bread I know use yoghurt or sour cream in the recipe. (Search - Recipes - Taste.com.au=)

Just ponderings.

Guys,

thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated.

Yep, toothpick test gets done, always comes out clean. I'll give it one more try - the kitchen is between 18-20C with the oven on (yep Victorian houses are cold in the winter).

I mean it still tastes very nice and people I haven't told it collapsed couldn't tell the difference. I think the holy grail of Banana Cake making is the one they sell at Pre-A-Manger :)

Thanks,

R.

Back
Top Bottom